HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Steering Thingo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodolphe
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 10:30 am    Post subject: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

I am currently trying to get at my ignition switch setup thingo but I can't get that botton piece of plastic off, the one where the ignition key comes out of to put the key in... How do you get this off ??
Rodolphe
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

OK I have that off now... Now I will describe why I am pulling it appart Surprised)

Sometimes when I go to start my car it just clicks when I turn the key, and everytime I turn the key it clicks until it starts. It isn't the safety switch thingo on the auto shifter as when that isn't working or is out of line it makes no sound at all.

A mate told me it is the ignition switch and he said you can clean out the contacts on these ?? If so how do I do it ?? What would a new ignition switch cost ?? What else could it be before I spend $$$ as I am selling the car very soon (see the for sale section of the forums).

Cheers.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

have you checked your battery and your starter motor as trhat dont sound like the ignition switch at all
Rodolphe
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

Yea I have checked all the connection on the battery and checked the battery earch point and they are fine, I scrubbed up the battery terminals too. The starter motor connection look fine, a few months ago a put in a fully reconditioned starter motor so I doubt it is that. When it does start it starts fine. It just seams that there is a dodge connection somewhere or something. It is of no great concern to me, but it will make it that much harder to sell if it doesn't start well Surprised)
Poizon
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

Nah m8, I have the same problem with my old engine...
my advice is get a new starter... you're solinoid is fucked
sometimes it starts right away and sometimes it takes 20 clicks right???
depends on what the car feels like pullin on ya??
solinoid dude....

recod starters are about $45 I think... don't quote me on that though

Todd
Rodolphe
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

Yea that is about right, sometimes no clicks, usually about 5 though. I'll have to see if my starter motor is still under warranty, I bought a fully reconditioned one a little while back.
Kizza
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

b4 u go buyin that stuff hold up
it does the exact same thing on my auto but not on the manual. its either a battery thing or a time thing.
when it does it the first time i get out and twist the battery terminals round on the battery for 1-2 seconds then buy the time i shut the bonnet and get into the seat it starts ok. next time it happens get out and wriggle the batt terminals and see whether thats your problem
it might work
kizza
Rodolphe
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2001 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

I won't be buying shit for it !! If I can fix it by fastening a lose connection or something sweet Surprised) I mainly want to be able to tell peole who may want to buy it what is wrong.
Rodolphe
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

Damn it has just gotten a whole lot wosre since today when I tried to start it. Was there for about 2 mins clickign away !! The battery terminals are definately clean so it must be the solenoid. Is there anything I can do to the solenoid to fix it ?? Would I have to remove the entire starter motor to do anything to the solenoid ?? Plz help as I need this damn car to start reliably if I want to sell it !!
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

is the starter motor still undr waranty?
Rodolphe
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

Nah only a 3 month warranty and I put it in 4-5 months ago.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

oh okay
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

oh okay
i have a brand new never used starter motor here and the price $250
Rodolphe
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

I am selling the car so I don't want to spend money on it Surprised)
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Thingo Reply with quote

okay yeah i know
but look around for a cheaop starter motor
and shove that in
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: