HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Engine replacement

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemmy
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 11:48 am    Post subject: Engine replacement Reply with quote

Ok .. I am not all cluey on engines. I know enuff to get me by generally. I am more comfortable with body works and interiors on cars.

After events of this week with a finance company trying to get me to purchase more than I desire I have told them to fuck off basically. The Gemini will get another engine this week. All I want is a stock 1.6 or 1.8. Not looking for anything worked at all really.

I have been quoted on average $1300 for reconditioned + sundries + fitting with a 12 mth 20,000 km warranty << considering I do around 800 km a week for work, so this is irrelevant, no warranty is going to cover me well.I found a 2nd hand eng at the wreckers for $440 with a 3mth warranty and he wants another $350 to fit it. He wont accept a slab of beer or two .. bugger.

So what should I be looking for ? There are halves, short, long. What bits are normally included ? If I don't get an engine like what is in there, do I need to have shanges made to the g/box ?

Gimmie a sander and a spray gun or a tub of polish any day and I will feel more at ease.

I don't want this car to be the fastest thing around. Something that many can't understand, but I want the engine to be as stock as possible. Extractors will be added to improve fuel consumption bu that is probably really all. So lets not get all technical please Smile
FrAsErTaG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine replacement Reply with quote

speaking of fuel consumption
I actually get around 100k's more pertank with my worked engine then I did with my tired 1600.
Gemmy
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine replacement Reply with quote

Yeah but I don't wanna go spending haps on engine mods Sad
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine replacement Reply with quote

In your position, I would go for the wrecker option for 2 reasons.

1. If anything is going to happen to the engine, or if it is stuffed to begin with, you will definitely find out within 3 months. Plus if you do around 800ks per week, then 3 months is still a good warranty, thats almost 10000k's.

2. Its almost half the price of the reco one, and like I said, 3 months will let you know if anything is wrong.
Gemmy
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2001 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine replacement Reply with quote

Thanx for that Ben .. kinda what I was thinking. Wasnt sure if it was a good option or not.
Mick ute

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine replacement Reply with quote

PinkBitz, I'm with Ben. Go for the wrecker option but dont get the wreckers to install it unless you know them well. Do you know a mechanic who is doing up a car? get them to install and perhaps you can do a paint job for them. This should save you a fair bit. Good Luck.
Gemmy
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine replacement Reply with quote

Hey d00d ! I dont know any motor mechs really. Got this bloke who was reccommended to me that is gonna have a look see tomoz. He will have the law laid down to him the instant he walks up my driveway .. about ripping me off and all hahaha. I hate having very few contacts up here. Apparently a bloke at work claims to knwo a bit about cars. Might speak to him at a later date.

Cheers !!

Cam
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: