HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

4spd or 5spd --(Matt)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 10:14 am    Post subject: 4spd or 5spd --(Matt) Reply with quote

my clutch is fucked so naturaly i am putting a new one in soon, i have a perfectly good 4spd at the moment and was wondering whether or not anyone thinks it is worth the money for a 5spd while i have it out for the clutch anyway... i figure if i'm gonna do the change i'd do it then, whats peoples opinions? is it worth the money to bung in a 5spd? or not?
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 4spd or 5spd --(Benjamin) Reply with quote

Yes
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 4spd or 5spd --(Dave) Reply with quote

I'd answer "maybe".

It depends on how much long distance or 80kph zone driving you do. Where I live, although it's a suburb close to the city, there are two good stretches of 80 zones near my house - very weird for Adelaide because we haven't got any nice freeways - not near my joint anyway.

If you do a lot of country driving, then it would be helpful as well. I drove to Coffs Harbour from Adelaide in my car and it sat at high revs - about 3800-4000 at 120 - I can't remember. With a 5-speed, this is brought down by about 500-800 rpms - better for your engine, better for your fuel bill.

However, the ratios in any 5-speed are the same as the 4-speed for that model, so there won't be any improvement in acceleration or anything - just an 'indirect' overdrive gear.

old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 4spd or 5spd --(Matt) Reply with quote

yeah i reckon i will, because around my place there are lots of 80km/h zones and even lonsdale highway (which i take to and from work everyday is 100km/h....
whats a normal good price to pay for a 5 speed in great condition then? (just dont wanna pay too much for a fucked one...)
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 4spd or 5spd --(kev) Reply with quote

aah yah gday mr bywaters!
hows the wife and kids??
get a 5 speed!!
$350 at just geminis, with 3 month warranty!!
cant go wrong man
kev
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 4spd or 5spd --(Petrol_Hed) Reply with quote

how much will it cost with a trade in with my 4 speed?
cause i wanna change as well
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 4spd or 5spd --(Dave) Reply with quote

Just Geminis' don't trade in 4-speeds cause they don't want them. It's heaps bastardly, but they get so many that they're forever chucking the things out.

I've got a 4-speed there that I've gotta pick up some time, because I want to keep it in case I bugger up my 5-speed - then I won't have to buy a new box at least.

The only 4-speeds they keep are late model coarse-spline boxes, so if you've got a 1984-1985 TG, they might want to keep it. Otherwise, keep the 4-speed in case something goes wrong with the new 5-cogger.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: