HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Frothy oil --(Andrew)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 4:21 am    Post subject: Frothy oil --(Andrew) Reply with quote

Does anyone know what can cause the engine oil to go really bubbly?
I checked my oil after driving about 30km's today and just about had a heart attack when i thought i saw mayo in my recently reconditioned engine. On closer inspection, the oil had actually turned all frothy. Could this have happened because my oil is too thick? (I've just replaced my running in oil with THICK penrite oil) Or mabye the high compression (1.6 head on a 2L G180) or blow-by's causing it?

I hope someone has an answer so i can sleep peacefully tonight.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Frothy oil --(Andrew) Reply with quote

By the way, the bubbles went away after i let the engine cool for about 15 minutes.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Frothy oil --(byo) Reply with quote

water in the oil????? maybe
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Frothy oil --(Andrew) Reply with quote

But wouldn't the water stay in the oil? It looks perfectly normal now.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Frothy oil --(MRMOPARMAN) Reply with quote

sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt

coz water and oil dont mix, sometimes the water seperates from the oil, but usually it stays mayo'ee

what it could be is your oil level it too high, and the crank is whipping it like cream.

then again, at this point it could be many things.. id reccomend getting a pressure test, compression test etc

does it use any water?
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Frothy oil --(James) Reply with quote

You might have put to much oil in..
Because the oil gets buberly if you have overfilled the engine. check the dipstick and if you need to drain some do so
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Frothy oil --(Andrew) Reply with quote

Yep that's the problem (couldn't really tell from the dipstick though). I just drove it around for 10 minutes - nothing. Stuck it nose down on a hill for a minute and i got an instant milkshake. How come they never mention this in manuals n stuff - all they ever talk about are blown head gaskets.

Anyway, thanks for your help guys.
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Frothy oil --(Paul) Reply with quote

Umm, i'd almost bet my mortgage that your manual says how much oil should be in your engine....

Paul
Never late in a 308
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Frothy oil --(gene) Reply with quote

hehehe
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Frothy oil --(Todd) Reply with quote

M8.. I'd bet my mortgage any day... especially if I knew I was gonna be wrong... then I wouldn't have to pay off the rest of the feckin house!!! (I could spend it on the Gemini instead!!)

Todd
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: