HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

How to make a gemini parcel shelf to run 6x9s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 6:01 pm    Post subject: How to make a gemini parcel shelf to run 6x9s Reply with quote

Whats Needed:
- 18-20mm Plywood/MDF
- Carpet or Viynl (To make the wood look good)
- Jigsaw,drill,Anglegrinder (or simular tools handsaw if ur really keen)
- Set of 6x9's (might aswell install them when putting in the shelf)
- Adhesive to bond the carpet/vinyl to the wood

Steps:
1) If you still have the cardboard cutout in the back of your car on the metal parcel shelf trace that onto your wood, if you just have bare metal an old bed sheet or something that is easy to get into the gaps is good to trace onto then transfer that onto the wood.

2) once you have the traceout onto the wood work out where you want the speakers (make sure you dont put them to close to the fuel pipe where the fuel goes in, mine are damn close).
then pop the metal cover (cage like cover) off the 6x9's and trace that onto the wood.

3) Get out the Jigsaw and cut the edges off making the shape of the parcel shelf, now to do the 6x9 holes get a drill and drill a hole big enough to fit the jigsaw blade on the tracing of the 6x9's and cut the holes out. Now check if the speakers fit if they dont make adjustments. Check if the shelf fits if it doesnt make adjustments.

4) Measure your carpet/vinyl and cut it and useing your adhesive bond the carpet/vinyl to the wood.

5) With your angle grinder cut the metal parcel shelf to fit the speakers (make sure you dont have any leaking fuel cause this does cause sparks and keep clear of the tank)

6) Pop in the Shelf wire up the 6x9's and bobs your uncle.

This is only a guide you dont have to chose to do it this way perhaps you have a better way, if you do do it that way.

Thats all of it I have sent you a pic of the shelf aswell, pitty I dont have all them photos of the shelf like I did the stupid camra broke and ruined the film I had all the stages taken. but ohwell the finished product will do.

old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 7:00 pm    Post subject: cheerz -(greg) Reply with quote

i've been putting off doin something about my rear parcel shelf, cos i haven't been too sure how to set it up best - at the moment i've got a daggy chipboard box up there. i'll let u know how i go with your tip anyway! thanks, and keep up the great work!
old forum
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 6:25 pm    Post subject: Cutting the Shelf -(martin) Reply with quote

I dunno if you encountered this problem but there is a ridge along the edge where the window is and that caused some problems when making my shelf, so did tracing the shape of the old shelf. I ended up producing the shelf so that it sat flat and was not inclined as yours is there. I routed the edges and it came up pretty good.

Can i ask, why did you choose to mount the 6x9's that way rather than horizontal? does it sound good? and also how did you manage to clear the fuel lines? even with speaker spacers mine are only just clearing the tank and lines by a few MM.

Cheers,
Martin
Nick
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 9:58 pm    Post subject: 6x9 Reply with quote

I did my parcel shelf the same way and sat the edge of my MDF on the ridge. i'd say as the speakers point slightly more towards the front of the car instead of straight up it would make a small difference in sound. and fuel tank wise with it sitting up on that lip my 6x9's just clear the tank by about 10mm. it also depends on the quality of the speakers and the size of the magnet
DaGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Something i bit different Reply with quote

I own a TC Gem, so this might be abit different.

i did mine similar but i raised my shelf using more wood. i have it sitting about 60mm higher than the shelf. it looks alot better, sounds better, clears the fuel tank and lines up with teh window sil perfectly. i have a pair of Pinoeer 6x9's. they sound awesome. as does the rest of the system which is also all pinoeer. which, if you ahve seen or heard it you will agree.

It is covered in black cotton, pulled tight and looks really neat. i have a smal red pioneer sticker inbetween the the two speakers and are light up by a red neon on the roof.

you have got to see it at night to see how great it looks.

Rob- DaGemi
Woodyboy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Carpet (To make the wood look good) Reply with quote

You can buy uv protected carpet from car part places (ie Sprint Auto in SA) for around $20. I know you can definitely get black or grey carpet but you may need to ask if they can order it in as they usually have little stock.
hqguy69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: speakers 4 rear Reply with quote

I found the best way to get great sound and avoid 6x9 holes and tanks and lines is to use 6 inch speakers or even a 4 inch.run the speakers straight off the deck.Add a amp and run a 10 inch sub in a 1ft cube box mounted to the left of the boot.This gives u great bass and the speakers give you all the clarity u need.if you want add another 2 4 inch speakers on the front doors and run them off the deck as well.sounds bloody great.
wannerooderro
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: tips and tricks Reply with quote

this might be diff for a tg gemini...
umm your notice that when u take the old stocky shelf out its relitivley flat until you get to where the windscreen starts and then it curvs upwards.... seeing as you cant mould a bit of mdf what i did was cut the mdf board to sit flat on the bottom bit and it didnt go over the top of the bump / ridge... this makes it so tehre is little or no gap betwene the parcel shelf and the steal it is connected to wich gives no vibrations = beter sound.... but this looks ugly as all fuck.... sooooo.... instead of putting the carpet on the wood b4 you put it in, install the wood 1st, then when its all scrweed in place n nice n snug get the carpet and glue the carpet to the edge of the windscreen seals on the car body... this means that the carpet will go flat and then angle upwards, and it looks sexy as.

the thicker the mdf the better and i would recommend using mdf and not chipboard just because it cleans up easily. just take yout time and make it fit perfect with no wobbles. dont use those fugly plastic box spacers either, get some small wood ones and paint them the colour of teh speakers or the carpet, looks sweet az
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: 6 X 9 Reply with quote

I found if you turn the old shelf upside down to trace it, its a lot easier and accurate.
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: TRY THIS INSTEAD Reply with quote

It is defectable to remove any of the metal from the parcel shelf itself because it is a structural part of the car, the only way to do it is to brace it afterwards. But who could be botheres to go through that just for a crappy stereo?
Build some risers, for your speakers, that have some nice curves in them from thicker blocks that you can screw into the p/shelf coverboard then glue a material to it like velour or vinyl. This way you dont get defected and you can add a touch of originality to your car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: