HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Rear disk conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Rear disk conversion Reply with quote

PARTS NEEDED:

VL disks

VL calipers

VL internal drum and handbrake set up (u do not need the handbrake cable)

VL rear axel bearings (make sure u ask for DISK ones)

VL handbrake cable bracket (found behind the disk on the VL)

1: rip out ya axels and remove the axel bearings. Using a grinder or cold chisel. Also remove the complete drum setup on ya diff. keep all the bolts)

2: take ya axels and VL disks to a machine shop and have them drill out ya disks to a 4x100 stud pattern. And also have them fit a spigot to the wheel aligner on the 2 axels (seen in pic bellow, ring in the center of the disk)

When u get ya axels and disks back u can start putting it all back together.

3: fit the small handbrake drum from the VL to the Gemini diff. this will bolt straight on like the Gemini drums.

4: put the VL disk axel bearings onto the Gemini axels, and fit axels tot he diff.

5: slide your re-drilled disks over the axels and bolt on the calapers the same way u took them of the VL. (u will see where they bolt on. its not rocket science)

6: some calipers will have the same thread on the flexi line as the Gemini’s metal brake line that runs across the diff. if not u will have to (like me) take the Gemini metal lines off and take them in to a hose shop and have new ones made up to the same length with different flared nuts on the caliper ends to suit he VL flexi hose. (This cost me about $15 to have made)

7: fit up the brake lines

HANDBRAKE CABLE

1: Take the VL handbrake cable mount and weld on a 45mm piece of pipe to it (shown below). the size (diametre) of the pipe needs to be able to seat the geminis original handbrake cable inside.

2: bolt on the mount and fit handbrake cable.

Bleed brakes etc and done.

If the braking doesn’t feel nice, or the rears are locking up b4 the fronts, u can fit a brake line bias valve to even out the braking from front to rear to your liking.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: VL brakes Reply with quote

are these the NA 6, turbo 6, or the V8 calipers? or are all teh rear calipers the saem?
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: rims Reply with quote

will these fit in a 14 inch rim? or will i have to go to 15's?
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: w Reply with quote

do u need 2 use the rear vl disks or can u use the front disks and caliper setup? how easy is it 2 do 2 your front end?

chris...
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: (none) Reply with quote

i thought all vl rears were the same? it shouldnt really mater as there the same diff housing (ends) aslong as the VL internal handbrake drum bolts on the calaper will.

im not sure what rims u will need to run to fit over them? iv only ever had the 17's on my car. mayber check a vl and see how much clearance it has?

i had my fronts made up for me as a kit. i can get more kits made if u email me on nismogemini@hotmial.com i can give u all the details

u have to uses rear vl disks. i dobt the front ones will work. the calapers are differnt from front to rear.
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: VL Brakes Reply with quote

they Need to be VL Turbo or V8 brakes they are the same as VN V8 rear brakes.
SBG81
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: vl discs Reply with quote

Are all the same, they came on calias, turbo and v8 models. If u really want an upgrade try using nissan gtr calipers as they bolt on to the vl discs. But some machine work is needed for the front when u install the discs. And be prepared not to have a wide variety of wheel choices. Ill try to get some photos of this conversion and post them up.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Bearings and discs. Reply with quote

The bearings need to be disk brake bearings because the disk brake backing plate is thicker than the original drum backing plate and therefore the plate which loads against the bearing is further from the bearing race. To the best of my knowledge *almost* all commodore live-axle rear disc brakes are the same, DBA016U (for undrilled rear rotors) solid disks with an internal drum handbrake. The live-axled HSV clubsports have different discs (ventilated, same diameter) and different calipers.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Clarification... Reply with quote

Adam's mostly correct.
The bearings are the same but the seal is a different thickness. It's the only difference in the two bearing kits.
VB to VS used the same rear rotors and calipers on live axle rear ends.
They will accept 14" wheels.
And for those a bit confused, this is a REAR DISC CONVERSION!... nothing to do with front discs off VL onwards V8's???
Riggs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Front Disks? Reply with quote

This is all very good about the rear brakes but what about the fronts like what disks do i use, what do i have to do to make them fit etc. Surely someone (if not many) can tell me
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: diffs Reply with quote

this conversion will not work on the TX/TC with the borg warner diff the axle sizes are wrong and so is the bearing size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Brakes All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: