HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Gemini drop tank conversion - taken from forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 7:01 pm    Post subject: Gemini drop tank conversion - taken from forum Reply with quote

If you use a xm or xp falcon sedan fuel tank, it fits perfectly between the chassis rails (after you cut the rusty boot floor out) and then you use a torana fuel door to hold the number plate.

For the hole the fuel goes into use a gemini wagon fuel hole with the sedan filler neck cut to the right length so you can still use the original fuel cap that way u dont need another key....

I have fitted 2 geminis with this style of tanks

P.S move your window washer bottle to where the fuel used to go and then watch all the funny looks as u fill your apparent fuel tank with water!!!!!
Tezza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Empty or Full ????? Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea but what about the fuel tank sender unit.Does the falcon one work ok or do you have to modify the gemini unit.
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Step-by-Step Reply with quote

1- buy a XM-P sedan tank.. with no holes(age is a big factor)

2-measure the front to back of the tank.. not from the edge , but from the actual tank fuel holding cell.They have a join lip which allows you to bolt it down..
Now in your boot is a factory join right at the back near the taillights on the base..( cant miss it)make a cut along this but on the inside of the line ( so the cut is not visible from the back of the car)between the chassis rails. Measure the distance from the to the inside of the boot( towards the orig. fuel tank ) , and mark the line from rail to rail..

3- DO NOT cut on this line.. but 20mm inside it.. so you have room to play with incase the cut goes a little askew.

4-You will notice that the line of the rail on the passenger side is not as straight as the D/S rail..You must cut 5mm into the D/S chassis rail.. and then use a measurement of the width of the tank to get the boot floor cut to size.

( REMEMBER) you must make all cuts smaller than needed to soas not to create a huge , hard to fill hole.

5- You will have to trial fit numerous times to get it to sit in.. use the flatness of the D/S rail as a guide.

6- Once you have it sitting snuggly in there measure all the gaps( P/S rail is curved downwards and the divot in the boot just left of the fuel pump not to forget the gap between the rails near the bumperbar brackets) and cut 1" square hollow section ( SHS ) oversize soas you can trim it down to the correct size . A little note: you will have to bend or cut the corners of the tank as it interferes with the bumper mounts.

7- make sure that your SHS sits up against the underside of the tank mounting section and the small cutouts( where bolts will eventually go to secure it) and are all lined up.Tack weld them in and double check that the tank sits flush.

8- Pull the tank out and look at all the gaps. Weld in plates to hide ( and seal ) the boot inner from the outside ( fumes will get in otherwise )

9- getting all this????

10- grab a fuel filler from a wagon and unpick all the spot welds to give a clean filler..

11- Measure ( trace ) around it against the back of the car ( behind number plate ) and mark 15mm inside of that line and cut accordingly.Make sure b4 you do this that you put the number plate there to make sure that it will cover where your cutting.Weld the filler hole inside of the boot to the car and bolt on a torana tilt down number plate holder.

12- Cut the filler neck off a sedan tank(I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH!!!! USE A HACKSAW!!! ) this enables the original gemini cap to be used( and key)

13- Fuel lines are pretty straight forward.. so is the sender unit..

14- Bolting it down requires some more mods.. like drilling holes in your SHS and welding in flanged nuts upside down ( with the bolt in it soas not to stuff the thread) into the SHS to keep it all flush.

15- The hose that connects the tank to the filler was off a truck as the angle is very tight( radiator hose).

16- If you have a gem with the fuel pump in the tank then you will have to get an aftermarket pump whereas if TF-G you will have the mechanical pump on the head.

I hope this is detailed enough for you.. i have no available photos but will be doing another drop tank as soon as i get some time.. then i wil take some piccys.

have fun...
dazza_666

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: fake drop tank Reply with quote

hey im 16 and i have got much money right now 2 spend on my gemini but i want a fake drop tank so ne ideas on how 2 make 1 or ne thing could u plz email me at dazza_hot@hotmail.com
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: mmmm Reply with quote

weld up a steel box resembling a drop tank then weld it 2 rear chassis rails.

chris...
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: good shit Reply with quote

this drop tank is really good if u got severe rust inbetween tha rails, that y i'm doin it

chris...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Body All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: