HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

5 Speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Screamingholt
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: 5 Speeds Reply with quote

ok, my poor little screamer 1800 NEEDS a 5 speed badly, plys the first bearing in my 4 speed is pretty shagged. So what is the best option for price/performance and ease of install for a 5 speed box. I know about rodeo 5 speeds, but have I have had some trouble tracking em down. Also what models of rodeo are compatable with the gemini.
MissPinkGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speeds Reply with quote

All the early Rodeo's fitted with G161, G180 AND G200 are the same gearbox i think, i've got a 5 speed from a G161 Gemi on my G200 that came out of an early Rodeo. They are all interchangeable.
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speeds Reply with quote

true. not sure about the clutches though

personaly i would use a stock gemini 5spd, you will probably never brake one with an N/A 1800
Screamingholt
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speeds Reply with quote

heh, its norm aspirated ATM, but im planning to charge it buy the end of the year. Gonna get the orig 1800 head for it done up and de-compressed, and strap a super to the liddle sucker Smile
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speeds Reply with quote

righto.... best bet is to grab a 5spd from a Gemini. Before you do, slip the tailshaft yoke out of your existing box and look to see if it's a course or fine spline yoke. Ok, so now you know you have an XXXX spline yoke, you can choose the box to go back in. 5spd boxes ORIGINALLY fitted to pre 81 cars were course spline boxes and those from mid 81 onwards had fine spline shafts. Odds are the model of the car you take the box from will correspond to the previous rule but sometimes you may be finding a box thats been retro fitted. If you can only get a box with the other spline type to the one your 4spd has, make sure you take the tailshaft too. There is nothing else different when changing boxes provided you don't have an early TX with the flat floor pan. I'd be inclined to fit a new rear gearbox seal for a few dollars before installing the box. If you have the bucks also think about doing the clutch and the crankshaft spiggot bush as well. Just swap and it's done. Don't forget to use an engine oil in it, NOT 80/90 gear oil. I use Penrite HPR40 and it works well. These boxes DO NOT use gear oil.

Rodeo boxes are similar but geared differently. Lower ratios in the low gears and not as nicely spaced between gears for the gemini. In my experience the Gemini box is pretty damn tough and not easily broken with reasonable use. Be too agressive and you'll break it. Don't blame the weakness of the box, blame yourself. They are NOT a weak box.
Another thing to look for is the bearing carrier (that piece bolted between the main case and the tail housing) material in your box of choice. Some have aluminium ones and some have steel. If you find one with a steel carrier and it only has a reverse switch, no other pollution switches, it's a diesel box. These are desirable, providing you can find one, for the gear ratios used in the overdrive if you want a taller split between the fourth and fifth gear ratios. Petrol boxes have alloy bearing carriers and have two or three switches attached according to the time they were made.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
MissPinkGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speeds Reply with quote

I dont know about the clutch, all i used were 1600 Gemini bits, i was changing from auto to manual so i used the same clutch as what was in that one...
dunger
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speeds Reply with quote

i have a spare 5spd, 200 u pay frieght. i_love_fat_chix@hotmail.com
Zedster
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speeds-Shuttle Reply with quote

Don't forget that a shuttle box is the same.
gazely
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speeds Reply with quote

MissPinkGemi, do u own GEMINICE ?
DOHC_TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Speeds Reply with quote

u might b able to score a 5spd rodeo G/box with the remote shifter still attached.....

cheers John
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 Speeds Reply with quote

u still wont brake all that many

ive got a 2.6L turbo and they only brake if you smash 2nd every day all day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: