HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

wagon stereo help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOFX
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

ive got some 6x9s ready to go in the middle-rear panels of my wagon except i noticed that with a flat sheet of mdf the speakers would stick out too much (about 3cm) and get in the way when the rear seat has to be folded up/down.

im guessing the best way is to recess the speakers and i was just wondering how anyone else has done this or what your setup in your wagon is.

cheers guys
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

I have the same setup in my wagon.
I cut the hole in the *door card* big enough to fit the 6x9 grill right through (for numbers sake... say 7x10), and then made up a mdf spacer which will recess the speaker the required distance (again big enough for the speaker to fit all the way through) and then fit a backing plate so that you can mount the speaker.

I hope that all makes sense...

Matthew
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

quiksilver_qs@hotmail.com

add me msn or e mail me and i will email you pics of what i did

i made a big box to sit behind the seats

though i got a pannel van
NOFX
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

Yeh thanks I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean... but you don't happen to have any pics???
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

I might try to take some later this week. They are still in the car though, so it might not show you all that you really need to see...
ninjagarth
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

have u thought of 6x9 boxes they are much simpler and they can be movedif u need to
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

What if, instead of mounting them from the front of the MDF, you mounted them from behind, if there was enough room for the magnet to clear the panel. This would then allow you to cover the MDF in cloth trim, and the speakers would not be seen by THIEVIN' BASTARDS!! Smile (Gotta love a stealth installation)
NOFX
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

OTD 079 I was wondering how you made your spacer... and was your backing plate round???
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

NOFX,
this is actually a very good idea that racegem has mentioned... and would be easier to do.
NOFX
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

Yeh it sounds good. But does the area between the front MDF panel and the recessed backing plate need to be enclosed (does the spacer need to go all the way round)??? If you know what I mean...??
Does this affect the sound at all??

Thanks
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

You don't need to seal it, but if you do you'll get better bass response.
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

It is never good practice to let the air behind the speaker get out in front of the speaker... the speaker power handling and sound will suffer, so yes I would make the spacer a full piece oval ring.

Cheers,
Matthew
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: wagon stereo help Reply with quote

But how sealed are you going to get. Most cars, that people mount speakers in the parcel shelf, have vent holes from the cabin to the boot, so they're never a perfect seal anyway. But I do agree, the better the seal behind the speaker, the better the sound, particularly with bass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: