HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdwepn
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

2L with 11.5:1 comp is it possible to run it ping free with premium fuel with octane booster if the timing is on standard 6deg or 8deg
is it possible ?

cheers :-0
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

hahaha yeah should do might have to run it a bit richer but and/or upgrade ya ignition
tdwepn
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

mm
11.5:1 pistons,44/80 cam, twin 45ml sideys
premium unleaded top notch octane booster,on 6deg
will it work with no pinging rekon?

cheers Neutral
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

just curious....

did someone design this engine and forget the available fuel options??

Why build it if fuel is going to be a problem?

There isn't a straight answer... also depends on head work, Ignition advance curve, spark plug heat range among other factors.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

yer u are up for some major issues.. talk to who ever built ya engine
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

LPG... AVGas...
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

may be the only option.... and then LPG is probably out also as he's spent on DCOE carbs. Besides it's risky going that high C/R on LPG unless you go straight Propane. A fine line between LPG mixes at that ratio.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

my engine is about the same stats twin carbs 11:1 comp big ass cam and lots of porting. she runs avgas no probs and ultimate 98 with no pinging. my dizzy has bee regraphed but not to this engine and it is electric i run colder plugs ngk 7's compared to ngk 6's

if you get thias engine drive carefuylly and go to a tuner and see what he reckons or see if the engine builder can lend you any ideas.
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

You are running hotter plugs if you are running ngk7's, ngk5's are a better choice.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

no thats with champions the bigger the number the hotter the plug with ngks the bigger the number the colder the plug.
tdwepn
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

one of my mates is selling it.
as for head work the ports are mainly dedagged and polished and ported to the size of the 1600 valves all d way through.
the cam is a no. 711 camtech cam inlet 37/82 ex 82/42 with .412" lift with a duration of inlet 299 degrees and exhaust 304degrees which is the cam in camtech with the greatest overlap.
also with ignition the ignition advance curve has been closed up .It runs a total of 35degrees and initial of 6 degrees.
I dont know about the plugs but for aguments sake just say it had the right plugs.

my mate ran it with avgas whitch was blue in colour,(blue avgas 100 rating) as I understand, and the motor had no problems.

so would I be right in saying that the motor sould run comfortably on optimax98 or bp98 with octane booster witch you would think that the booster would rise the octane to 100 at least.

cheers Razz
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

i heard that colour doesnt mean much either wwe have yellow avgas and that is 100 aswell. can you give me a contact for the camtech cam? im interested in knowing how much he paid for it
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 11.5:1 comp, what fuel ?Please help. Reply with quote

I guess it's a choice you need to make... knowing as you do how this engine is going to be sensitive to fuel choices. Because it runs ok on 100 avgas doesn't mean it will run ok on a blend of 98 ULP with or without an additive.
It is also going to be an expensive engine to run if it is for your daily driver and you'll not want to think about an interstate holiday!
By the way.... avgas is a distinct no no in a street engine.
You might find some places will sell to you but not likely to find it everywhere you go (unless deep outback where it is the norm to run in everything) and then not by the 200 l drum. They may allow you to fill a car tank on the sly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: