HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Blue TC - I trial fitted the sr20 today!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Blue TC - I trial fitted the sr20 today!! Reply with quote

Carlos,
I trial fitted the sr20det motor today! Looks like I will have to modify the steering rack to get slightly more clearance around the sump so I can close the bonnet. I figured that the rack mount will easier to modify than an cast alloy sump!

Also looks like there will be slight clearance problems trying to fit the thermo fan too! Still working on that one, but hopefully with the modded rack mount there will be greater clearance to shift the motor further rearward.

Guess I will see how it goes.

Matthew
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue TC - I trial fitted the sr20 today!! Reply with quote

Hey Matt,

bannanas are cool mate,

i just had word about my Crossmember, as it is gettin rebushed and the steering rack is buggerd, so yer may have to opt for a modified one for the Motor to fit, is yours still using the standard S13 sump?

good to hear progress, gotta love holidays

regards
OTD 079
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue TC - I trial fitted the sr20 today!! Reply with quote

Yes I am still using the standard 180sx sump.

Another tip is the gear lever slants slightly rearward when in first gear and leans right back when in second.

This _may_ interfere with the handbrake. Will know more when the motor is properly installed, but the gear lever can be pulled out and rotated 180 degrees (which makes it lean forward in first gear and approx vertical in second gear) to give a bit more clearance for the handbrake.

Matthew
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue TC - I trial fitted the sr20 today!! Reply with quote

modified sump will be cheaper then a modified rack
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Blue TC - I trial fitted the sr20 today!! Reply with quote

Modified SR20 Sump is like $1200 plus, as there are two sumps, and for the pick up to work efficiently concerns me,

decisions.....

you can actullay get a shortend handbrake conversion, 40RST had his done by a shop, not sure who but cant cost an arm and leg i guess
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Blue TC - I trial fitted the sr20 today!! Reply with quote

I'm with Gene on this one. It would be easier to modify a sump and pickup than the rack.
I'm not doing the conversion so I'm not going to try and tell you what needs to be done to clear the sump, but I am a mechanic and modifying the steering rack position will alter steering geometry and effect handling.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue TC - I trial fitted the sr20 today!! Reply with quote

$1200 to modifie a sump...

ok... now do pigs fly too??

u can get a custom alloy sump and pickup made for less then $500.. where did $1200 come from??
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue TC - I trial fitted the sr20 today!! Reply with quote

Gene,
Who can do the custom sump and pick up for less than $500? Cos I would like to talk to him to consider all options

I was planning on modifying the bracket that attaches the rack to the cross memeber to shift it down like 10mm. I will be doing this myself, so it costs nothing. This would alter the steering geometry less than it would running super low king springs, so I do not see that as being an issue.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue TC - I trial fitted the sr20 today!! Reply with quote

mesure it up and get a sheet metal worker to make it
easy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Blue TC - I trial fitted the sr20 today!! Reply with quote

Carlos, if you are refering to the sump, it is not the sheet metal part but the cast alloy part of the sump. That is the problem.

Matthew
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Blue TC - I trial fitted the sr20 today!! Reply with quote

u gotta do what ya gotta do to make it fit! i would personally go the extra yard and make/modify the sump to suit so the donk is as low and rearward as it can possibly go without chopping the crossmember, as well as modding the rack mounts, u can gain back what u lost in rack position with the rack end adjustments but not sure bout the steering arm itself
cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: