HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

She donna likea da revs moit!?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: She donna likea da revs moit!?!? Reply with quote

G'day PPL's, I got a problem with my Gemmi & i'm having trouble trying 2 figure it out.
It started 2day when i was out cruising wit a mate, i dropped the auto to 2nd and punched it. When i let go of the throttle, it wouldnt let go - it just kept on revving. Then it settled into a 2500rpmish rough as guts idle in drive with black sooty smoke coming out da exhaust. I slipped into neutral for a second and shut it down. Started her up 20sec L8R watched black smoke pour out and clear itself, then all was fine and dandy, until i gave it a bootful. The same thing happened. Ive checked accelerator cable and she's sweet, checked float level (Niki) she was sweet 2.
So i'm thinking maybe the secondaries jam open on W.O.T, or maybe its that accelorator pump thingymabob ppl have mentioned before. It has 2 be fuel coz of the black sooty smoke out the exhaust, but what is actually happening ?? I can drive it sedately fine, but if i give it a big rev, she has these symptoms. I have to shut it down, and start it again, watch the black smoke clear with some concern, then i start driving off again until i give it another big rev.
Ben Wight, u may be experienced with this sort of symptoms so can u throw some advice my way. Or can anyone else help me out ??
It really sucks 2 have your car play up on u @ Chrissy time let alone any other time.
Besides da gripe, Merry Chrissy everyone & happy freakin New Year : o P
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: She donna likea da revs moit!?!? Reply with quote

Aaaalllrighty then, i just took her for another bash and i'm starting 2 think i may have an alternator problem thats causing my beloved to drown in petty.
When i fired her up, the charge light stayed on and the engine wouldn't idle unless held at a higher rpm like 2000ish. After a few throttle stabs, the charge light disappeared - instantly, it didn't fade away like it was getting charge. Almost like something kicked in to make the charge light switch off.
So, i'm starting to lean towards thinking the alternator is shagged and i'm getting voltage spikes at high rpm to the fuel pump, and this makes the pump flood the carb. I removed the resistor to the pump ages ago so i can get a full 12 volts to the pump.
When i parked in my garage, i did the old 'blip the throttle with the lights on the wall to see if they brighten on revs'. Well, they didn't budge in brightness one bit. I gave it a few good revs, lights went brighter, my engine started doing its thing, charge light came on, black smoke did its thing, then a funny whinning sound came from the engine bay.
So maybe this is my problem, a fubared alternator ????
Does the G series engine have a curcuit to the carb from the alternator ?? Or is my above theory sounding more on the money ?
C'mon ppl's, some advice would be nice pretty please.

P.S Soz 4 the longass post, but more symptoms/explanaition means a more accurate diagnosis for u guys 2 help out.

Danka.
Blue TG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: She donna likea da revs moit!?!? Reply with quote

loud whining noise sounds like the alternator bearings are seazing, if they are worn and the shaft slaps around, even the slightest bit, then it will destroy the alternator bushes.

if it is a sedan, and your alternator is playin games then ur fuel pump will cut, the engine will gravity feed for a while, and it will idle, but will not rev (could explain the conking out)

black smoke can be a telltail sign of alternator problens with a nikki carb, due to the electronically controlled "idle enrichment solenoid" on the circuit the runs thru the gearbox etc.

try connecting another cars battery to yours with thier engine running (therefore thier alt. charging) and see if this helps, also check the plug that goes into your alternator, check the wires etc, i melted mine once.

and be sure that the alternator is earthed properly
Blue TG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: She donna likea da revs moit!?!? Reply with quote

before anyone asks, the reason i said if it is a sedan it will gravity feed, thats coz a panno or wagon has its fuel tank lower than the engine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: