HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

EFI Sensors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: EFI Sensors Reply with quote

Hey,
I was wondering if someone could explain to me all the necessary sensors needed for fuel injection, and what works with what etc. I will be getting an aftermarket computer soon for the twin-cam and I really need to know what else I will need to have the engine running. I am getting a new throttle-body with a throttle-position sensor in it, I don't have an airflow sensor, I'm fairly sure iI don't have a MAP sensor, there is some weird looking sensor-type thing in the back RHS (IIRC) of the block, and of course the oxygen sensor built into the extractors...
I think thats about it...What should I need to get it up and running?

Also, what's the go with different ignition systems available. How exactly does a coputer control spark - does it hook up to the dizzy and fire from a seperate ignition module or something - hopefully somebody will be able to explain what options I have with the ignition system too!
Thanks, and sorry for the long post!!!
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Sensors Reply with quote

You need a TPS, which you have, and a water temp sensor. They are the minimum to have it running. Most ECUs have a built in MAP sensor. You dont need an airflow sensor, and the oxgen sensor may or may not be needed depending on the ECU you choose. Tahts all you need sensor wise.

The ECU control spark by setting the dwell time and adavnce at certain rpm, and then tells the dizzy ahen to spark based on this. You still use the ignitor you have, just it is only conected to the ecu and not the dizzy.
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Sensors Reply with quote

Cool, better than I was expecting then. Do you know where the water temp sensor is meant to be located, or what it looks like, and also where I could get one from?
Thanks for that Loz!
Anybody recommend a decent ECU - $500-$1000???
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Sensors Reply with quote

Cant say that i have ever played with a twincam so i dont know for sure, but it is probably near the front of the inlet manifold, around the thermostat somewhere. The plug should look like an injector plug, and the sensor just a two post male of the same. If you can find it or its shagged, every good parts store will have them, they are pretty common, and all very similar.
If you want fuel and ignition, then look for a second hand wolf or microtech MT8, even an old pro digi 2 microtech or something sililar. These will be closer to the $1000 mark than the $500 though.
BLO20L
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Sensors Reply with quote

i have a supercharged 2L run by a wolf 3D and i have used a coil divider with 2 ignition moduals and a set of VN coils but i am having a problem with getting spark as i think my coil divider is fucked but i have asked wolf 3D the company about and they are going to get back to me. but the system runs fucken great i surgest wolf as they are cheap and very easy to tune with and use....
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Sensors Reply with quote

Hey was your car the BLO20L in Tamworth a while ago???
So if I get this right - the dizzy gives a reading to either the ignition modules or Wolf3D, which then goes to the coil which produces some mass voltage, which goes back to the dizzy and then through the leads into the spark plugs???
Is that right???
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Sensors Reply with quote

The dizzy sends the signal when the piston is near the top of the compression stroke. It either sends to the ECU if it controls ignition aswell, or it sends to the ignitor(module). If the spark is ECU controlled then it sends a signal to the module and the the module tells the coil to fire(it can be up to 10000 volts but with very low current). I then goes back through the dizzy, through the leads and onto the plugs.
So yes thats right.
BLO20L
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Sensors Reply with quote

i bought the motor and all the running gear out of it. what did you think about the car.
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: EFI Sensors Reply with quote

Bloody Nice!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: