HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Oil pissing everywhere

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sleek
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Oil pissing everywhere Reply with quote

When my gem warms up a bit, it starts leaking oil everywhere. it dumped around 2L this morning.

I cant see where its leaking from, but i can see that the oil sits on the top of the inlet manifold, and a little bit around the exhaust manifold flange.

my question is, where is the oil pump? is there a chance that its spraying oil everywhere?

Or is it more likely that its leaking from the Rocker Cover gasket, its pretty old i dare say...and it only does it when it heats up
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pissing everywhere Reply with quote

To be losing around 2 litres a day is more than a leaky valve cover gasket! More like NO valve cover gasket to drop that much from there.

The oil pump is located inside the crank case and unless the sump is removed you can't see or access it. It's inside about where the oil filter is located. Check to see the seal between the oil filter and the mounting flange isn't leaking. Even if it is it's not going to be the cause of oil in the places you describe.

It's unlikely to be the answer due to the volume leaking, but, is there oil leaking past the oil filler cap or the rubber seals where the bolts hold down the valve cover?

A possible cause is oil leaking from the valve cover vent hose. If your engine is worn and piston ring blowby exists it could be pushing oil out the vent hose onto to the valve cover and inlet manifold

You would have to be dripping oil from under the car everywhere you go to be losing that much from a leak somewhere. The most logical way to pinpoint the problem, if it is a leak, is to clean it all off and start looking for the first signs of oil. Don't assume the first point is the only leak.

Does the car smell like it's burning oil when running? Does the exhaust pipe feel at all oily? It's ok to find a small amount of black soot (That could just be incomplete combustion) but if it leaves an oily film when you wash it off your finger under a tap it's a problem.

Step 1. Do not drive car until problem fixed!
Step 2. Degrease and wash the whole engine and engine bay.
Step 3. Start engine with bonnet open and observe.
Step 4. Identify locations where oil is secreting (or gushing in this case) from.
Step 5. Consider replacing any gaskets that appear to be failing.

Hopefully you'll find it without too much fuss and cost.

Keeping an engine clean is the easiest way to spot problems at the first sign.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pissing everywhere Reply with quote

If the symptoms persist and it's not a gasket at fault, then it may be the same problem a friend of mine had. Post back after further diagnosis, and if it's the same i'll fill you in on what was wrong with his engine.

S N 3 A K Y
Sleek
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pissing everywhere Reply with quote

Thanks heaps once again Poida. Ive degreased the engine bay, first thing tomorrow morning ill get out there and clean everything down, and hopefully track down this "leak"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: