HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

quick engine question (vic ppl)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: quick engine question (vic ppl) Reply with quote

hey guys, just wanna know the technicalities of this conversion, I wanna put a TE engine into a TG now i'm not sure about the rules and stuff with the pollution gears, but just wanna know how it works? Can i do it or do i have to run the pollution pumps that the tg engines had? I have a feeling i do but i just wanna clear it up. I know most coppers wont pick it up but just to be on the safe side
thanx for any help
cheers steve.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: quick engine question (vic ppl) Reply with quote

Technically, it's illegal to put an older model motor into any vehicle, so yes, you have to run the TG head with the pollution piping and air pump.
The other drama, legalities aside, is the early model motors don't have the fuel pump on the head, it's electric in the tank. So you'd have to set up a fuel pump and wiring to suit.
It's all a matter of risk. There's plenty running around either without it or bypassed. I've pulled the guts out of the pump on my TG and the next step will be to block the pipes internally so none of it will actually work, but it will all look like it does.

Yonnee.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: quick engine question (vic ppl) Reply with quote

I have never had nor know of anyone that has had geminis and had troubles with having any G161 in it. As long as there isnt anything that is visabley blocked off, they never care, or probably dont even realise. The egr valve is one that they sometime pick up on when it it cut off. But if you put an early engine with a non egr inlet and exhaust, and an early head with no polution stuff, then I reckon it would go un-noticed.
But as racegem said, your technically not allowed to put an older engine into a car, and have to comply with at least the ADRs of the engine that the car came with.
wotatripp
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: quick engine question (vic ppl) Reply with quote

I think that the ruling is that if the engine had the anti-pollution gear on it...then it has to be there
But...
That doesnt meant that it has to be hoked up
It just has to be there
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: quick engine question (vic ppl) Reply with quote

Cool, thanx for the help guys. Appreciate it.
cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: