HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Tailshaft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Tailshaft Reply with quote

I got a 5-speed box to upgrade my 4-speed, and forgot to take home the tailshaft from it, also i dont have the crossmember. He told me that the splines are different, but then someone told me you dont need the differen't tailshaft :S

Can anyone clear this up?
GEMTEC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailshaft Reply with quote

you should be alright with the talishaft. the 4 and 5 speeds are the same, along with the gearbox crossmember. something that i have hear tho, is that there is 2 different spline patterns in the back od you gearbox. this is only something that i have heard about. but have never come across that problem. maybe im just lucky
hope this helps ya
SAM 180
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailshaft Reply with quote

yeh the splines in the back of the gearbox anf the front of tail shaft are dirrerent with the 4 and 5 speeds, one is course and one is fine, the difference is very noticable. Sam
Wagonbloke
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tailshaft Reply with quote

i dunno if there different but i got one from a 5 spd u can have AY. Might leak a lil bit of oil ut cou;d fix it up easily. few lil knocks not 2 bad tho. no rust
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: SAM, Re: Tailshaft Reply with quote

Your TF will probably have a fine splined output shaft on the four speed. If the 5speed you got was from a TG, TF and maybe TE, it should be the same. Have a look at the new box. There will either be about 8-10 teeth (course spline), or about 20 theeth (fine spline). If it has the fine spline, the 5speed is a straight swap.
It's the yolk on the end of the tailshaft that needs to match the splines.
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SAM, Re: Tailshaft Reply with quote

Damnit, ok then. This one is course spline, has 10 teeth. It was from a TD, so thats probably why he told me i need the tailshaft, hopefully he still has it, can't beleive i freakin left it behind. Oh well, thanks Yonnee.

Btw, remember you said you could help me out with a coupe, send us a couple pics if you have any, i wanna see what im missin out on. passive_necro@hotmail.com

Cheers buddy.
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tailshaft Reply with quote

Righto...

Splines!
There are course spline shafts and fine spline shafts. Gemini's produced pre 81 had course spline shafts and in 81 they changed to fine spline. This is true for both four and five speed boxes.

So, the only way to know for sure is to pop off the tailshaft from your four speed and see if it is the same as that on the five speed you are about to install. The difference is obvious once you see both types.

There is no difference between a four and five speed crossmember. Just slip your old 4spd out and in goes the 5spd. If the splines are the same use the old tailshaft. If not pick up the one for the 5spd before you start.

As long as the 5spd is a out of a petrol engined car the speedo cogs will be fine. If it is out of a diesel car you'll need to remove the speedo driven gog an use the one from your 4spd box.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: