HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Toyota SC14 S/C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

Anybody using Toyota SC14 superchargers on their cars (they are off the 1G-GZE 2.0L Sixes), specifically the G180W or G200W? They look like fairly decent little unit for a cheap supercharger, but the clutch is worrying me - can the clutches on these be turned on and off manually, and what type of reliavility do these have if the clutch is left engaged. Anybody know how much boost a stock G200W can take reliably, probably not much....I was hoping at least 8psi???
Also, is it worthwile upgrading the Throttle bodies on the G200w, they look pretty poor - would a stock 5.7L LS1 V8 unit be ok to fit - would that work ok?
How much power do you think a freshly reco'd G200w with a bigger throttlebody, extractors, exhaust and supercharger would make on say 5-10psi?

Thanks....I'm just exploring my options while I get the engine done...
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

Hey man,

My mate is running a supercharged 1.6 in his Toyota Sprinter (its the engine they came out with in japland, dunno what it is tho) he is running about 6psi or so, getting about 110kw at the wheels, its a very quick car.

A stock g160 with good compression can run about 10psi of boost.

Hope that gives you some help. BTW, someone on here, i forget who but they are selling a SC14 supercharger kit, everything you need.
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

The engine your talking about is the 4AGZE which had the SC12 supercharger, slightly smaller. The S/C kit was made by SHEEL but that was made to suit the G161/180/200Z series motors, not the G180/200 twin cams.

The clutch on/off switch was used to disengage the supercharger at idle, to save a bit of fuel. My friend runs the SC14 s/c on an RB30E with the clutch on/off disengaged completely, so the charger is always on. As for boost, depends on what compression ratio the Twin Cam Motors run.

Cheers

Nick-
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Umm, so your mates S/C runs ok with it on 100% of the time - if so I think that may be to go.
What is the rev limit of the G200w, I think this would ultimately decide what ratio pulley goes in wouldnt it?
Does anybody know their comp ratio too? I don't want to run too much boost, I just want about 140kW at the fly - pretty easily done hopefully!
The injectors won't need upgrading with that minimal gain in power will they?
Also, unrelated - does anybody know where I can source a distributor cap for a G200w - I kinda need one.....
Thanks.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

SHEEL is selling a compleat kit for $650
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

SHEELS kit is for the SOHC motors i think.

G200W makes peak power at 6400rpm i think, so add another a couple of hundred rpm for the limit.

Nick-
golum
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

Yeah sheels kit is for a sohc engine, i kinda bought it but haven't put it on yet. Sad
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm going to be getting the S/C seperate and installing myself from scratch - not that hard.
Nowe that I know they can be run with the clutch always engaged - I just need to figure out what boost I can run on a stockish G200w....
isuzu_gem
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

i would really go for a turbo myself mate well it really depends on what you want an rb25 turbo would be responsive on that engine and make really good power should make more than the s/c on the same boost easy probley make the same with a couple of psi less and can be easly upgraded if more power is wanted
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

Yeah I'd rather go turbo, but getting an exhaust manifold made up is a bit expensive compared to making your own brackets for a S/C - and the turbos are usually more expensive to start with anyway aren't they?
But hey, if somebody was selling a kit or something to suit this engine for cheap I'd consider it... Smile
isuzu_gem
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

mate if i was close i would knock one up for ya if you can get your hands on a mig welder and if you can sort of weld do it yourself get both flange plates buy some bends and some straight then do it your self might cost you $150 in materials. turbos might cost ya $350-500 for one in good condition if your lucky like i was you might get a bargin i got a ct26 off a supra which was recoed and a ball bearing center put in for 250 it was all legit a friend of a friend got in while over there thinking it would fit his mr2 but it was a different flange pattern sayin that a s/c wouldnt be that bad just make sure it wont foul on anything and that you have enuff room for it and all the cooler pipes inlet as well
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

1st- Throw turbos out the window, too much hassle, too many accessories, too much money, They take up too much space in the bay andtake too long to go.

They are a good little s/charger and with a few tricks they can be turned on and off. The LS1 throttlebody is WAY too big for your four potter! Go and do a little research about the 3 V's, Vacuum, Velocity and Volumetric efficiency. Then you will be able to find whats right for your car.
Dont ask "how much power would this have?" again please.

HOP-A-LONG
isuzu_gem
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Toyota SC14 S/C Reply with quote

there isnt that much more to a turbo set up than a s/c set up they will be better and cheaper in the long run if more power is wanted i was just saying that it depends on what type of driving style you have and how you want the power to come on we just turboed my sisters starlet (aussie spec non turbo)being a girl she didnt want that much top end just to get off the mark a little better and that was exactly what she got there was no room for a s/c if she wants more power all she has to do is get a larger turbo which has the same bolt pattern which with the toyota ct series small turbos it will it has no lag at all if you wanted more power with a s/c you would have to spin it faster which would make it become less effeciant but with a larger turbo and same boost you would be making more power not saying that those toyota s/c are not any good for what they are they great and cheep but at the end of the day if fairly good power is wanted there is no reason to start off like that you might as well save a few hundred more and start off with a better base to work with there are pro's and cons with everything but there is no use going second best if your going to be disapointed at the end of the day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: