HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

First post - g200w

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: First post - g200w Reply with quote

Hey all,
This is my first post here. I did a search, and there is sooo much info on this site - a lot to sift through but nevertheless I have a few questions:
I picked up my g200w today with everything but the computer. I really don't know where to start, what I'll need etc even though I wanna do as much of the work as I can myself.
So far I have established that I will need a diesel crossmember (depending on the engine), elecric fuel pump, upgraded front brakes, unleaded filler cap....etc
But I really don't know where to start with building this engine, so are there any workshop manuals or specifications pages online or anything?
Also, will it need a fuel-only computer or one that can do ignition too? Some people seem to opt for one that can do both, what are the advantages etc?
Any help at all appreciated even though most of these questions have been answered before at some point.
Thanks ppl...
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First post - g200w Reply with quote

ok depending where you are will depend on whether u need to upgrade brakes etc

as for workshop manuals i keep hearing that none were ever printed in english. so good luck. i have a g200w in pieces that im in the process of putting back together and i too wish there was a book.

you can run a fuel only computer but are better off with a fuel spark one as it will manage your engine more efficiently.

sorry thats all i can help ya with
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: First post - g200w Reply with quote

Yeah without a book it will be fun - oh well at least I have a spare incase I break something...
OK, so an ignition capable ecu does what exactly - how does it work etc....My motor has the electronic dissy on it, but no coil pack...so can I use my old one (I'm assuming no probably).
Also what leads/spark plugs/engine oils/tranny oils etc should I be using - does it matter?
Thanks...
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: First post - g200w Reply with quote

I don't know much about fuel+spark computers, but I imagine you'd have to run some sort of crank angle sensor or something for the spark side of the computer?

As for leads, spark plugs, engine oils, tranny oils... buy what you want to spend... same as any car, generally the more you spend, the better the quality... so it depends on what you think is reasonable price and buy it... but go something like 9mm leads, split fire or iridium tip spark plugs, any good quality oil (penrite, fux etc) same for gearbox oil
isuzu_gem
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First post - g200w Reply with quote

hey mate you will need to use silicone supressed leads so they wont interfere with your computer a lift pump(carter,holly red/blue) vl turbo pump surge tank use high pressure efi lines make sure you earth the engine properly as well use a good running in oil you could go and buy all old second hand stuff but it will probley save you cash in the long run if you buy all new stuff it will be more reliable as well,well at least mechanicle things like pumps and that. Also (dont mean to try sound like im pushing to sell you stuff but) depending on the type of pic up in the dizzy asuming they have them ive got a brand new microtech computer that would suit what you would need if the ignition pic up was a magnetic reluctor type 4 sale but saying that any good aftermarket efi computer would do the job that you would want it to do
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: First post - g200w Reply with quote

Cool thanks for that. Do you have any more info about the computer your selling, what type, cost etc?
Will leads for like an SR20 or something be suitable, IE the type and length as they both run down the center, and what particular spark plugs/oil filters do people use specifically - will they be the same as a normal isuzu G200 etc?
I can get the VL pump, but why the need for a surge tank?
And sorry, I got no idea about the distributor....maybe someone else here does....
Also, I have no airflow sensor (maf), do these engines run one or do they run a MAP sensor (I have two different manifold here, and one looks like it has a sensor in between the two middle injectors) so I don't know - or will I need to go and buy an Air Flow sensor, or is not needed altogether???
I started the process of rebuilding the engines today, cleaning them all up, I have all new gaskets to go in, I'm getting some rings made up for it, gunna hone the bores, painted the tappet cover blue today (had like 1 layer of red, then black, then silver before I was back to metal..lol), so I'm gunna having fun building them up....should be cool.
Thanx for your help so far....
isuzu_gem
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First post - g200w Reply with quote

Ist a microtech LT8 computer(lap top tuneable) with data loging comes with an igniter for 1000bucks they are normally worth 1095 thats without the igniter and it has never been used befor i can also organise the software 4 the lap top as well but it can still be tuned with the normal hand controller if ist not the right type of pic up on your dizzy i could organise a comp with the right one for you as well with an after market computers you wont need to use an air flow sensor cause the after market comps use map sensors (Manifold Absolute Pressure)and or throttle position sensor.Standard leads for that type of engine should be fine if you can find them new or either get some made up or get your old set and try to match them up any good auto store will help. surge tanks stops your efi pump from running out of fuel when hard cornering which could blow up your engine cause of the lack of fuel
any more questions just ask
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First post - g200w Reply with quote

Sounds cool....how do I go about using a MAP sensor instead?
Whats the go with the ignitor, is this like what the computer controls to produce spark or what - I got no idea lol.....
I won't be getting the computer til I get the engine built, so I'll see how I go....sounds good anyway!
isuzu_gem
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First post - g200w Reply with quote

the map sensor is just a line that goes to the manifold from the computer which reads vacume and boost(thats if its going to be turboed)the computer uses other sensors as well like water temp and air temp which your motor should already have if not they are pretty cheap to but anyways your sort of right with the ignitor thats all it pretty much dose let us know how your going
which state are you from??? might be able to help out if you need anything
Voxace
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First post - g200w Reply with quote

Cool, thanx....im in Tamworth NSW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: