HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Fucked the stupid crapper!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green Machine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Fucked the stupid crapper! Reply with quote

Driving out last night, i heard a 'pop' noise like a sping was recoiling and then the throttle became unresponsive. so i wheeled it down the road a bit and popped the hood. wouldnt start again, wouldnt turn over at all, sounded like a remote control car or some shit. anyways, get it home and checkin it out today. pull the air filter and rocker cover off and theres something missing underneth... NO FUCKING CAMCHAIN! the stupid fucker snapped on me and is now in a pile at the crankshaft end of things.
This happened to many people? what do ya reckons the easiest way of retriving the chain and putting on another (ie setting the timing right and shit). i was thinking of getting everything out of the way and doing it with the engine still in. will i need to take it out you reckon?
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucked the stupid crapper! Reply with quote

probably have to take the timing cover off...
might have a few bent valves now mate
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucked the stupid crapper! Reply with quote

also to take the timing cover off dont you need to pull the sump off
i saw a mate doing his timming chain and he had the sump off said he needed to but i am unsure my self
all i know is if they break there is usualy some sort of damage
my gemeration
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucked the stupid crapper! Reply with quote

there will almost certainly be bent valves as the first thing you do is try to restart the engine thus bending valves. if you undo the engine mounts and jack up the engine off the gearbox you will get enough clearance to remove the sump(drain the oil first)to remove the timing cover. it's a prick of a job and not one to take on if you haven't done it b4, find someone who has to give you a hand
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucked the stupid crapper! Reply with quote

well to take the sump off u needa pull the engine out or at least jack it up a bit
Green Machine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucked the stupid crapper! Reply with quote

fuck, i didnt even think of the valves!
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucked the stupid crapper! Reply with quote

yes you need to take the sump off to take the timing cover off... the oil pump and therefore the oil pickup is connected to the timing cover and therefore isn't coming off till you remove the sump, once you do this though, it's easy to change the chain... but you will also want to take the head off to check the valves
Draevon
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucked the stupid crapper! Reply with quote

I have replaced the timing mechanisms and guides on 2 geminis in the last month ... it's a shit of a job to do in car but it can be done. You will have to jack up the engine a bit (under the gear box) and drop the sump to get the timing case off, as well as removing the alternator, radiator etc so you can get in there. If you're carefull you can pull off the timing case without tearing your head gasket which makes thing easier ... but even if you do tear the gasket, you can piece it back together and seal it up well and it should be alright.

Chances are if you've snapped your chain that you have done some damage somewhere. You'll probably be up for a new tensioner mechanism, and maybe a slack side guide and obviously a chain.

Like I said it's a shit of a job ... the first one took me 10 hours (there was a fair bit of damage inside) the second job only took 6 because I knew what i was doing. If you want to have a shot at it and have any specific questions, send me an email.

four0four@ihug.com.au

.draevon
Green Machine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fucked the stupid crapper! Reply with quote

Thanks champ, much appreciated hey! i probly will leave it in the driveway til after uni exams, we got a reliable sigma i can drive round for a bit, no sleeper thou i can tell you. then have a go at it. My dad's mad with mechanical shit, he worked on cars/bikes for 12 years and in the raaf on aircrafts for 19 (some common years between the two obviously).
I think he's been through it before, but if i have any major probs ill give ya a bell.
Daniel
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucked the stupid crapper! Reply with quote

before taken the head off do a leak down test on the head its still possible to do it.
u cna unlbolt the sump and fit the chain that way but im thinking you may also have to replace your tensioner aswell. so just take the engine out of the car.
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fucked the stupid crapper! Reply with quote

Well I reckon if it won't turn over at all you can guess somethings stopped it hard... like a valve collision etc.

If the cam chain is now in a pile in the sump you will need to get it out somehow.

I'd be wanting to strip the engine down simply to inspect any possible further damage caused by the broken chain.

Imagine one cam chain link floating around in the sump.....

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: