HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

RB20DE conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twincam_gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: RB20DE conversion Reply with quote

Has anyone ever had experience with puttin a RB20DE or SR20
in a gemini, How much trouble is there with the engine mounts and engineering?
I currently own a 120KW G200W but am selling it due to lack of parts available in Australia.

I have also been told that a Mazda 13b Rotary will be a pretty easy drop in?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RB20DE conversion Reply with quote

rb20 u have to cut ALOT of the fire wall out (alot) and modifiey the tras tunnel and makes some kind of remote shifter or move the whole handbrake asseble back about 6"
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: RB20DE conversion Reply with quote

That doesnt sound inviting, Do you know what its like fitting a 13b?
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: RB20DE conversion Reply with quote

I dunno where you are located, but take a look at www.rotoworx.com.au. I would personally get a rotor installed by someone else, HypaTG got quoted $6,000 for a 12B installed.
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: RB20DE conversion Reply with quote

pretty easy to fit a 13B if u use a "off the shelve" crossmember from some of the workshops in nsw and vic, but they mount the motor to far forward and on a angle which blows out uni's sooner i reckon they are not worth it unless u only wanna do skids, most engine conversions i have seen on gems are a bastard of a fit. I chose a 13B PP and did a shitload of work it fit it> custom crossmember, reversed sump, widened tunnel, cut& boxed firewall to clear hydro clutch set up which meant the heater box had to be modded, custom gearbox mounts , shortened gearbox linkages (series 4 turbo 5 speed) custom headers etc lotsa work but worth it. the weight balance is better as well.
cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: