HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Guide 2 boot releasing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Guide 2 boot releasing Reply with quote

it's easy 2 do, and no welding required, all u need, is a magna, release lever, and the 2 latchs and the cable. u remove all the old crap and start fresh. On your boot lid, u mount the metal catch part, (the little metal hoop). i mounted mine in with 2 small bolts, drill the new hole a little bigger that bolt size so u have some adjustment. Next move on 2 your release mechanism. Were the old one use to sit, is useless so u have 2 install a plate over this. I used a 3mm piece of metal the same width as the mounded section in your boot. i fastened that down with 4 bolts 4 strengh. (with the magna release, u have to remove half the lock arm, which pass through 2 the other side of the latch, (you will see what i mean when u get the latch). with that out of the way u can now bend the bracket straight, (u have to do this to get it 2 line up with the catch on the lid). This latch will mount up with 2 bolts, what i did was removed my left hand rear light so i could gain access 2 the boot and work out where the latch had 2 sit. When mounting the latch it pays to drill the holes a little bigger to allow for some adjustment inside the boot, to get a even sitting boot lid. With these 2 steps done the boot should shut, next comes cable mounting. i used a magna fuel cap cable, (which is a little long, but i couldn't b fucked getting another one, it works good all the same). i then ran the cable. the latch works in the opposite direction than in a magna so u have to run the cable, around the left side of your car, past the fuel tank, (i chose to mount mine inside my rear 1/4 panels, so u can't see it. After running throught the quater panel i went under my rear seat. All the holes are already there 2 run the cable through so no drilling is required. Then connect cable 2 release lever and test to see if it works. Then u have to deside were 2 mount it, i mounted mine in the lowest section in front of my drivers seat, on the inner seal panel. with your excess cable u just place it under the rear seat, (there is carverty under your rear seat, to put the cable, u will work it out, how and where 2 run it). then bolt your release lever in and enjoy a beautiful piece of work.
I took just over 1hour to make, mount and install every thing. And all it cost me was $5.50 which aint 2 bad.
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Guide 2 boot releasing Reply with quote

i like the idea...sounds good and i like recycling parts out of other cars to make mine better...

what year magna was it from?? and do you have any pics??... if you dont have a site to put them e-mail them to me and i'll put them with my pics at webshots....

e-mail me on byteme22@optushome.com.au

cheers
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide 2 boot releasing Reply with quote

i just got it of a tn/tp, just one of the early crap one.
HOTHOUSE GREEN GEMI
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide 2 boot releasing Reply with quote

i like the idea but uck hard to understand mate sorry need pictures
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide 2 boot releasing Reply with quote

they're the boxy ones
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide 2 boot releasing Reply with quote

I'll get some pics up.
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide 2 boot releasing Reply with quote

do u recon that u can run it up so that the lever is in the glove box or was the cable way to short. might think about doin one outta a vk/l. my vl one is in the glove box and is a push button.
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide 2 boot releasing Reply with quote

the magna fuel cap release cable is easy long enough to go 2 glove box. I worked out how 2 do an electric one as well, i might consider putting one in my glove box. What u need 2 do is a starter motor, a felixible trace of wire. 2 conectors and some electrical wire. U don't need 2 use the whole starter, u just need part of it. i'll have a look at doing it and get back 2 u. with that stuff u can also make a bonet release which would be tuff especially if u remove the catch and in stall strong gas struts on ur bonet. so when u hit the button it will shoot up and will be good 2 scare shit out of people.
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Guide 2 boot releasing Reply with quote

are u talkin about using a solonoid of a starter. if so where will u mount it. wouldnt a solonoid be pretty powerfull coz ive delt wit alot of em and they shot out fucken quick so the cable better be dam good
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: '97 Magna Reply with quote

Hey Yobbo,

See if you can the whole setup from a 97 magna, they have it in the glove box, and uses a push button also, so you could use the same button and just mount it exact same. The 97 magna is the one that is the newer shape, not the old box shape. The older ones might have the same button setup, but im not sure i haven't had a look.
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide 2 boot releasing Reply with quote

yep they are the ones, what u use is those steel traces, like they use in fishing and put your connectors on them. I would just mount it in d bootand run the wires 2 ur switch were ever u want. they work really well. u have 2 use flexible trace wire so u can use ur lock as well. If u really felt like it u could probably set it up so u can open ur door with a remote, which would be tuff.
wannerooderro
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: pics of boot release? Reply with quote

you said you where gunna get some up? this sounds like a pretty mad idea and yeeah long text instructions dont work well sometimes. if you could get some pics up that would be good
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: pics of boot release? Reply with quote

i'll take some on d week end
justin ste
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide 2 boot releasing Reply with quote

vn release fits with no fucking around
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide 2 boot releasing Reply with quote

go 4 it chris your a tuff kid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: