HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Amp power and RCA Cables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toymachine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Amp power and RCA Cables Reply with quote

Hey lads, im installin me mates sub for him, and i read somewhere that it isnt good to run the amp power cable and rca leads along side each other? Is this bullshit or wat? Coz i know the power cable will be giving off a fairly strong magnetic field. Any ideas??
Momo
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp power and RCA Cables Reply with quote

If the two are spliced together accidentally through wear or whatever you will blow both the deck and the sub! Keeping them seperate will avoid this happening - but I never heard of it happening.
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp power and RCA Cables Reply with quote

You get interference if you run the wires next to each other, thats why you dont do it.
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Amp power and RCA Cables Reply with quote

Your right about the magnetic feild mate, so run the power cable on one side and the rcas on the otherside, try and keep the two wires as far away from eachother as possible. Or there's another option if you really can't keep them seperate. Get a long length of metal braided sleaves like the ones u see on hoses in engine bays, and run ur power cable thru it (the full lenght of it that is) and earth that braided hosing. Both options are good.
cheers hope that helps
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Amp power and RCA Cables Reply with quote

i get that gay wining sound
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Amp power and RCA Cables Reply with quote

so i moved em apart and it fixed it
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp power and RCA Cables Reply with quote

The reason you don't want to run your power cable and your RCA's together is because you introduce noise into the input stages of your amplifier. The most common fix is to run the power cable down one side of the car, in a gemini's case that's down the left, as the battery is on the front left, and you can make use of the factory grommet through the firewall, and run your RCA's and remote power on cable down the centre or right hand side.

Don't forget to make sure you fuse the power cable as close as practicable to the battery, and also use an earth cable of the same gauge as your power cable. Run your earth to a good, clean grounding point reasonably close to your amp. Getting double or triple shielded RCA's can also be a good idea, or optionally getting twisted pair RCA's, these again help to reduce interference.

HTH Cheers Smile
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp power and RCA Cables Reply with quote

My battery is on the drivers side in the engine bay (but I have a ZZ/T).
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Amp power and RCA Cables Reply with quote

i think u can buy things that get rid of that buzzin noise
toymachine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp power and RCA Cables Reply with quote

Thanks guys, yeah i ran one down either side, sounds good.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Amp power and RCA Cables Reply with quote

yeah you can buy noise supressors.. but why not just do it right and not need one Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: