HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

boot release

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: boot release Reply with quote

i just made a boot release system for my coupe, works really well, if anyone wants to do this, post here and i'll tell u what 2 get and how 2 do it.
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: boot release Reply with quote

Dude, post it on R&D, make use of that forum when you can, its most likely allready on there, but may as well post it from your own perspective.
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: boot release Reply with quote

i would really like to know.... i have a tx coupe and cannot work it our... (no welder) any info would be great.... its piss easy to do on a later model (te - tg)
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: boot release Reply with quote

it's easy 2 do, and no welding required, all u need, is a magna, release lever, and the 2 latchs and the cable. u remove all the old crap and start fresh. On your boot lid, u mount the metal catch part, (the little metal hoop). i mounted mine in with 2 small bolts, drill the new hole a little bigger that bolt size so u have some adjustment. Next move on 2 your release mechanism. Were the old one use to sit, is useless so u have 2 install a plate over this. I used a 3mm piece of metal the same width as the mounded section in your boot. i fastened that down with 4 bolts 4 strengh. (with the magna release, u have to remove half the lock arm, which pass through 2 the other side of the latch, (you will see what i mean when u get the latch). with that out of the way u can now bend the bracket straight, (u have to do this to get it 2 line up with the catch on the lid). This latch will mount up with 2 bolts, what i did was removed my left hand rear light so i could gain access 2 the boot and work out where the latch had 2 sit. When mounting the latch it pays to drill the holes a little bigger to allow for some adjustment inside the boot, to get a even sitting boot lid. With these 2 steps done the boot should shut, next comes cable mounting. i used a magna fuel cap cable, (which is a little long, but i couldn't b fucked getting another one, it works good all the same). i then ran the cable. the latch works in the opposite direction than in a magna so u have to run the cable, around the left side of your car, past the fuel tank, (i chose to mount mine inside my rear 1/4 panels, so u can't see it. After running throught the quater panel i went under my rear seat. All the holes are already there 2 run the cable through so no drilling is required. Then connect cable 2 release lever and test to see if it works. Then u have to deside were 2 mount it, i mounted mine in the lowest section in front of my drivers seat, on the inner seal panel. with your excess cable u just place it under the rear seat, (there is carverty under your rear seat, to put the cable, u will work it out, how and where 2 run it). then bolt your release lever in and enjoy a beautiful piece of work.
I took just over 1hour to make, mount and install every thing. And all it cost me was $5.50 which aint 2 bad.
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: boot release Reply with quote

it's easy 2 do, and no welding required, all u need, is a magna, release lever, and the 2 latchs and the cable. u remove all the old crap and start fresh. On your boot lid, u mount the metal catch part, (the little metal hoop). i mounted mine in with 2 small bolts, drill the new hole a little bigger that bolt size so u have some adjustment. Next move on 2 your release mechanism. Were the old one use to sit, is useless so u have 2 install a plate over this. I used a 3mm piece of metal the same width as the mounded section in your boot. i fastened that down with 4 bolts 4 strengh. (with the magna release, u have to remove half the lock arm, which pass through 2 the other side of the latch, (you will see what i mean when u get the latch). with that out of the way u can now bend the bracket straight, (u have to do this to get it 2 line up with the catch on the lid). This latch will mount up with 2 bolts, what i did was removed my left hand rear light so i could gain access 2 the boot and work out where the latch had 2 sit. When mounting the latch it pays to drill the holes a little bigger to allow for some adjustment inside the boot, to get a even sitting boot lid. With these 2 steps done the boot should shut, next comes cable mounting. i used a magna fuel cap cable, (which is a little long, but i couldn't b fucked getting another one, it works good all the same). i then ran the cable. the latch works in the opposite direction than in a magna so u have to run the cable, around the left side of your car, past the fuel tank, (i chose to mount mine inside my rear 1/4 panels, so u can't see it. After running throught the quater panel i went under my rear seat. All the holes are already there 2 run the cable through so no drilling is required. Then connect cable 2 release lever and test to see if it works. Then u have to deside were 2 mount it, i mounted mine in the lowest section in front of my drivers seat, on the inner seal panel. with your excess cable u just place it under the rear seat, (there is carverty under your rear seat, to put the cable, u will work it out, how and where 2 run it). then bolt your release lever in and enjoy a beautiful piece of work.
I took just over 1hour to make, mount and install every thing. And all it cost me was $5.50 which aint 2 bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: