HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Fucking intake manafold
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

I went to put my new 34ADM carby on today with that modified manafold I made, bolted it all on and shit. put the carby on, put the new coolent in and what ya know? It fucking had a little pin hole in bewteen runners 2 and 3! SO then i had to pull the manafold off and put the other modified manafold back on and put the 32/36 weber on so yer. back to square 1!!! cunt of a day BUT
I recon now i have found out how shit gemini manafold are I think i might MIG that hole up thats inside the thermostat housing??? some people might know what i'm talking about... and i'll TIG that 10mm hole that on the end of the manafold at the back so that way there wont be any coolent in the manafold? I recon thats the best way to go as most performance manafolds dont have coolent running threw them BUT!!! what do i do what that hose that goes from the front of the head to the rear of the manafold? Just blank it off at the head or what?

Cheers guys

(PS I been drinking again ;P)
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

If you dont have coolant running throught the manifold, how is it going to circulate around the engine and back throught the radiator? It has to go in and out to get back to the water pump.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

fuck knows. i might have to run a hose to the very back of the head or something... water can still flow threw the block. 90% of gemini intake manafolds are blocked up anyway
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

I found that out didn't i Josh Wink
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

drill a hole in the bottom of the thermostat area or remove the switch on the side of the manifold and put in a bit of pipe there and connect the head pipe there.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

Yer dave i know what i'm gonna do... I dunno if maybe people will understand how I explain this BUT here goes.

I am going to plug weld that hole on thats under the thermostat with a MIG welder (because TIG keeps making it crack) SO therefore doing that it will block off that water chamber thats underneath where the carby sits. OK now on the rear of the inlet manafold i have cut that little water chamber out thats next to runner number 4... I'm going to also weld that up so no water can get back threw to the area under the carby. Once i'v welded them I'm going to remove them 3 core plugs that are on the bottom of the manafold so that I can test to make sure no coolent is getting past the welds. Now the difficult part. I'm gonna do a bend out of 19mm x 3mm thick alloy tube at work and blank one end off then drill a 19mm hole saw down where the original top heater hose goes. The bend will be at the bottom of the manafold and thats where the hose from the front of the engine will connect to. If all goes well which it should because I'v spend all day drawing it out then I should have a really good coolent flow from the back of the engine (which geminis lack badly!!!) There wont be any heater hose's just the one hose at the bottom of the manafold that goes directly to the 10mm hole in the rear of the manafold which goes to the 10mm hole in the rear of the head... If anyone can slightly understand that i'd be god smacked!

Wish me luck, I'll let ya's know how I go and see if it boost's the coolent flow in the rear of the engine

Josh (WA)
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

Hey Josh, I dont know what you are doing with the 19mm aluminium tube, (I read it twice and am still scratching me head), but I understand what you want to do by welding up the hole underneath the thermostat, and the one at the rear of the manifold.

I have been wanting to try this one day, but take it a step further. You can take out the two welsh plugs in the area under the carb, and tap the holes, and put in barbed fittings. You can then pump ice cold water in there, with a small pump, from a container in the engine bay, or boot or somthing, with ice water in it. The ice water will circulate through the manifold, and keep it cool, might be worth a few horesepower.

You did mention a hole at the rear of the head. Well, there is a casting for a hole at the rear of the head, the extreme rear that is, about 50mm from the firewall. I have drilled this hole through, and tapped it, then screwed in a barbed fitting. my top heater hose now goes to this fitting, where it would normally go to the top fitting on the manifold. this allows coolant flow at the rear of the gem head, which I do think is lacking on stock setups. The lower heater hose, and the hose coming from the head, can simply be joined with a doube ended barbed fitting. this will make the fittings in the manifold totally unecesarry. since you welded under the thermostat, then no water would get into the area under the carby, and you could actually use one of these fittings on the manifold for that ice water recirculation system I mentioned.

Anyway, have fun with it.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

Hey dood

Umm where do I start. There are 2 little water ports for that area under the carby. Firstly that one under the thermostat and if you look closly there is another passage that is casted into the manafold and it runs next to runner #4. This is why I have cut this section out to get some room to fill that passage up but now I think about it I might not have to do that if I use the 19mm alloy tube. What part couldnt you understand about the tube??? I'll try and do a drawing of what I am going to do and then you might bable to give me some feedback. I think it's gonna work a treat but remeber one of the reasons I am doing this is because there was a coolent leak right inbetween runners 2 and 3 because I put a little too much heat into the 20mm plate when i was welding it into where the stock carby sits... I think you have seen the picture before anyway bbs i'll draw up a pic and wack it on someones site

Josh (WA)
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

Ben,

One question, how long is that 'ice' water going to stay 'ice' water. Surely its going to get nice and hot unless your putting in a 12v bar fridge in the boot.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

doooood c'mon, You'd so it minutes before you put your car down the 1/4 mile
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

lol Wink i like my idea better.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

hahaha i wish i could be more happy. I'v spend all w/e pulling and putting manafold on and off :/ And at the end of it i'v ended up with what I had in the first place. A 180 holley and port matched manafold :/ arr well i'll get the 34 ADM next w/e if i get time during lunch at work to weld up that manafold =) fucking cars Razz
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

I was just wondering if you could cut the water galleries out of the intake manifold and have a seperate setup similar to the twin cam (except on the intake side)
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

hahaha if i knew what a twincam intake set up looked like then i might have more idea what you were talking about but if the manafold you are talking about is expensive then i wouldnt be cutting it up. As is after I finished welding my manafold it bowed 2mm! Ben I sent you that drawing, Do you have msn? If not can u get it? cheers

Josh - eh_wagon@hotmail.com
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fucking intake manafold Reply with quote

I meant cut it out of the G161z manifold. Then make up a custom water gallery setup that also includes the thermostat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: