HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Painting Calipers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

*This is a dodge quick way*
1. Go down to Bunnings (or some where similar) and purchace white knight (hamemr finnish) paint not many colours to choose from but they do have a metalic blue.

2. Jack up the car take front wheel off and use a wire brush and tooth brush to get any dirt or rough road grime off.

3 Shake can really well then when opened stir really well this stuff is a very thik paint.

4. Use a paint brush (I used one about 1/2 inch thick )precede to paint the front of the caliper the bit you can see through the mag you dont have to do the back i did untill middle of the side where theres a line that goes down.
(WARNING: DONT GET ANY PAINT ON THE DISC)

5. Let dry for about 30 min (ave temp day) then do the next coat. While waiting paint the other side ect.

6.You may need to do one more coat after this depends how you apply the paint i would wait about an hr before the last coat. I let them dry over night.

I did mine about 2-3 months ago and are still quite notice able and havnt peeled away or flaked off.

You can do similar for the back drums but i decided i didnt want them standing out to much.

http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sc&vid=416&car=5

cant really see it in this photo but e mail me at
quiksilver@tpg.com.au if you want a couple pics
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

i recommend using a wax and grease remover, to ensure all the brake fluid is gone. because we all know paint doesnt stick to brake fluid Smile

"(WARNING: DONT GET ANY PAINT ON THE DISC)"

it doesnt matter if paint goes on the disk, as soon as the brakes are applied the paint flakes off.
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

that was a pretty average post gt
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

oh yours was good to lol

nah this paint is real thick shit and yeah i didnt have any "brake fluid on my caliper" if you had brake fluid on the front i would be worring about something

and yeah you dont want any of the shit on the disks as it will affect the braking can sctratch the disk
my mate who did it on his gold got a bit on the disk hasnt gone so i dont know what the deal is
CrAzY
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

if its hammer finish u dont really want it on ur disc, it will rip your pads apart pretty quickly, it sets quite hard, best not to get it on your pad, wax and grease remover of thinners is also a good idea to clean the surface, thinners in better cos the surface isn't smooth so wax and grease will leave a residue, where are thinners will dry in 5 mins, and you wont have a problem.

just my almost expert 2c
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

Still though it couldnt set harder than the pad. Baked finishes are pretty much the hardest setting and a brake pad would rip that to shreds.
And why no wax and grease remover. Before most people paint anything under the car or the block etc, they use this to prep it properly. Use what ever you have.
CrAzY
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

i didn't say dont prep it properly, i just said that wax and grease remover leaves cracks if there is residue left over,
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

The good thing about hammer finish too is that it doesnt matter how shit you are at using a can or even gun, it will always come out looking good.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

i just used it out the tin with the paint brush

here is a page with some pics at the bottom

http://users.tpg.com.au/summers1/_private/brakes.htm
jetgem13b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

if your goin to paint your calipers why dont you do it right the first time and by some VHT brake caliper paint cause its got a temp rating for calipers so it will nvr flake at all.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

mines never flaked dude
not even a sign of flaking
it heat proof paint there not a whole lot of diff but the paint i used is thicker and come outs smother
and its not in spray can so you can paint them on a car
its all about effort factor
jetgem13b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

fair enough

everyone has a diffrent way
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

Of course its in a spray can, it just is also in tins.
Id use a can, or gun. The finish is a more authentic hammered look.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

oh if i was do do it properly i would take the calipers off and spray them but if i did they i would also pull alot of other stuff to paint off the car but i didnt have time i got it done in like 1hr and 30 min and didnt have to take anythign apart the pain cost like $12 for a litre i think so very cheep and the tits still almost full
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting Calipers Reply with quote

Just my thoughts but I was told NEVER clean a break part with a wax and greese remover or thinners or similar as they affect the rubber seals in the breaks, leading to fluid release.
I was told to use break fluid then wash away with HOT water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: