HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Help - Oil Spurt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercow55
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Help - Oil Spurt Reply with quote

g'day,
everytime i take my gemini for a drive and accelerate quite hard or drive for long periods, when i open the engine bay i find oil around the engine bay. I find it mainly on the underside of bonnet and on rocker and cover, so it looks like back pressure is spurting oil out the cap. Can someone please tell me what the problem is or offer any help? Thanks for any replys, Cheers Ben
Auriga
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Oil Spurt Reply with quote

If i were you i would take it to be looked at. My 2ltr had that when i first got it. Its called "blow By" or "Blow Back". Basicly to much pressure builds up in the sump and it pumps it back through the engine.

Mine started by popping the dip stick out, then it blew all the oil out through the head into the air cleaner and onto my exhaust manifold. By leaving it I did the crank shaft, 1 conrod, the piston bearings, piston rings. The big end on the crank shaft, etc. So i would have it looked at before to much damage is done. Im not too sure on how to fix the prob. Just thought id post that ^
Auriga
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Oil Spurt Reply with quote

oh well mine fucked then lol

pretty much could be just your rings as well if its only just started doing it

looks like a reco is comming your way
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Oil Spurt Reply with quote

There is a couple of things you can do.

Are you using the original oil cap in the rocker cover? If so, go to a parts shop, get a brand new one, about $9, will seal a lot better.

Are you using the original carb and air cleaner? If so, try and remove the metal mesh in the base of the air cleaner that the hose from the rear of the rocker cover blows into. This will increase flow, and allow more air to be removed from crancase. Better yet, run that hose to an oil catch can with a filter on top, air goes up and out, oil goes down, and your engine doesn't breath in the nasty hot and contaminated air from the crank case.

Third option is to rebuild your motor, a lot of blow by is often a sign of a worn motor.

I would do a catch can first.

Ben
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help - Oil Spurt Reply with quote

can you buy them made or you gotta rig one up?
my old man reakon also to put a bit of steel wool in teh can it will collect the oil from the air in tehre or some bullshit
the only problem with mine is i got smoke comming out as well so i gota leave mine recycling other wise smoke comes into the cabbin
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Oil Spurt Reply with quote

If you have visible smoke, then your engine is probably shagged. the only solution is to plumb back into the carb, so maybe run an extra line to the carb to improve flow so the oil stops blowing out of the oil cap hole.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - Oil Spurt Reply with quote

i know my engine is shagged
if just got the stock hose into the air filter but i made up an oil reather the other week but a fair bit of smoke was comming out so i just put it back to normal
oil doesnt blow ou my oil cap hole (mine good )
i was just tring to avoid oil in the air filter but i will just have to put up with it for a few more months (mmm well lubricated ) lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: