HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

BOV engineered
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat_82x
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: BOV engineered Reply with quote

Ok according to the cop that helped me find problems with my car (fkn defect) i have to get blow off valves engineered... wat exactly do they have to do to engineer it? and how much would the certificates cost? cops are a joke!
Thanx
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered Reply with quote

not sure exactly why u would need to engineer a bov

a mate paid 50 to have his whole car engineered. some places will sting u though
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered Reply with quote

QLD there legal, check your state, cos they shouldnt have to be engineered
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered Reply with quote

sounds like the copper was being a prick , you dont have to engineer a bov thats bullshit
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered Reply with quote

What engine are you running in your car?? Is it injected or carbied?

Problems can arise if you use a BOV in some applications but I don't know that it requires the expertise of an engineer to inspect it.

If you have a suck through carby system and the BOV vents, you are releasing a volatile mix into the under bonnet area risking a fire. The other problem is as soon as a BOV opens in such an application the fuel will no longer stay in suspension and it condenses as the pressure suddenly drops, (It's raining petrol) effectively leaving a pool of petrol in your manifold.

Personally, I can't understand why someone would want to fit a BOV anyway. The sound they make is 'different' to say the least but they have no other real value. If it's sound you want, pump up the sound system!

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered Reply with quote

A BOV isn't even going to open if you put one on in a suck through setup..
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered Reply with quote

Is it plumb back or vent?
Plumb back shouldn't need engineering as it doesnt affect emissions.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered ATT: Poida Reply with quote

"The sound they make is 'different' to say the least but they have no other real value."

well the world is saved. i wish ppl would resurch and know what there talking about b4 they say shit like this.
do some resurch then comback and tell me that a BOV does NOTHING but make sound. cos thats bull shit
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered ATT: Poida Reply with quote

They are worth their weight in gold. The sound is just a wank factor. I'll just let mine keep on fluttering.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered ATT: Poida Reply with quote

im running a plumb back. silent BOV, no sound. not if there "sound" is the only thing there good for why would they sell a silent one...
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered ATT: Poida Reply with quote

so you could say you had one lol
nah because your turbo doesnt like holding its breath
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered ATT: Poida Reply with quote

thats a easyway of explaing it
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered ATT: Poida Reply with quote

very easy lol
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered Reply with quote

$50 for a engineers certificate. What a joke. QLD I bet!
slackest state in the whole country. they would let a ride on lawn mower with rocket propulsion on the roads.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: BOV engineered ATT: Poida Reply with quote

I'm definately gonna have to agree with Gene on this one. I know that Poida normally has a firm grasp on his knowledge, but in this case he seems in unfamiliar territory.
The sound a B.O.V or 'excess boost bypass valve' is a thing that has been capitalised and marketed to death. The sound is simply a by-product of what you are getting. I wrote a post explaining the uses and advantages of the B.O.V many moons ago, though it may have been in a different web-site/forum.
Put simply, a 'blow off valve' extends the life of a turbocharger/supercharger by reducing backpressure on the compressor wheel during rapid up-shifting. There are a handful of other advantages that can be learnt with further research. The more boost your application uses, the more you will deem one necesarry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: