HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

TX diff swap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green Potato
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: TX diff swap Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the differences / problems are when swapping diffs in a TX to a later model diff and what model diff is the best for swapping in? I couldn't find what I wanted under search
Cheers
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: TX diff swap Reply with quote

TD-TG had a stronger diff and can handle a lot more shit than the TX-TC. Im pretty sure it is a straight swap. Hope that helps.

Pavlos.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: TX diff swap Reply with quote

ALMOST!!

Brake lines on the diff need to be kept, ie. TX have imperial threaded brake lines and TD- had metric threads so you have to change the brake linges on the diff over but that is all the differences are.

cheers
Sparrow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TX diff swap Reply with quote

u may have to keep the torque tube that is on ya TX at the moment and bolt that to ya new diff... some later models have a wider torque tube mount and the bolt holes might not line up in ya floor. or drill new bolt holes in ya floor.
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TX diff swap Reply with quote

and the handbrake cable mounts are in different places>> use the tx handbrake set up
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TX diff swap Reply with quote

i only did this last week so listen up, the brake lines are the same, if u have a late tx than it is a straight swap, if u have an ealry model like me then u need to take the front torque tube mount off the tx diff and late model and use the ealry one on the late model diff , need to remove one of the rubbers and drill a small hole. cut the early model handbrake mounts off the floor pan and u can either cut some off a late model and weld on or make ur own up like i did. there is no holes for the sway bar so if u want to use it u need to make some plates up and drill a few holes. should only take u about 2 hours if u know what ur doing then bleed the brakes.
Sparrow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TX diff swap Reply with quote

... or

swap the diff drum to drum and the use the same rear brake setup thats already on ya tx. pull the axles, pull the rear brake backing plate to the side (brakes and all) and wire them up out of the way. drop the old diff, swap torque tubes (4 allen key bolts). jack new diff under the car, put axles in and bolt up. no need to mess with brake bleeding and new mounts.
Green Potato
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TX diff swap Reply with quote

How do I tell if it's an early TX? are the early TX's the ones with the funny gear shift pattern?(mine is the normal H pattern).
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Cheers
Sparrow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TX diff swap Reply with quote

errrm. flat gear box mount (not stepped) and small torque tube mount (not as wide as later models)
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TX diff swap Reply with quote

change the whole diff as the late model has better brakes, they dont lock up in the wet like early tx ones are prone to do, if u dont change the whole diff then why bother, not much difference in strength.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: