HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

engine info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilvaGem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: engine info Reply with quote

ive got a g200 sohc in my tg gemini at the moment. it goes alright but i want more power. guy at work is sellin a turbo setup for the isuzu g series engine for around 800. its got everything i need. do ya think its worth it? i know i will have to strengthen the engine. wat kinda mods will i have to do??? i am an apprentice mechanic and ill b able to do most of the work myself but i just need a rough idea of wat work i need to do to the motor to make it strong enuff to hold 9 pounds boost on everyday drivin and be cranked up to 16 - 20 pounds to beat dickhead p platers in there vl commonwhores. any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.
sorry for the long post
cheers Phil
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: engine info Reply with quote

If tuned properly, you should get by with a 100% stock engine. the amount of boost you can run will depend on the size of the turbo, and you static compression ratio.

if you want to run 20psi, I wouldn't be going over 8:1.

Ben
fazz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: engine info Reply with quote

my self would buy stronger main bearing bolts balance and blue print stronger rods and pistons and decompersion plate
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: engine info Reply with quote

blueprint to handle boost? pfft
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: engine info Reply with quote

decompression plate and new pistons? pfff
why not buy pistons that lower the compression, therfore NO DODGY DECOMPRESSION PLATE!

you can run 9psi on a standard motor with ease. it all comes down to the tuning.
if it was my motor, i would hone, deck the block, gapless rings, speedpro bearings, and balance the whole bottom end to make it rev clearer.
TG Turbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: engine info Reply with quote

Don't standard gem motors only run around 8.2:1 compression (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) Most new turbo motors run around 8.5:1 - why do you need a decompression plate if you get the tuning right??
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: engine info Reply with quote

Copper head gasket and o-ring the block and seal the headgasket with 3bond.

One option with pistons is to put in VL pistons but you need to modify your rod little ends. I've been told they are very strong. Other option is Hypertech decomp pistons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: