HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Gemi parcel shelf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Gemi parcel shelf Reply with quote

To all you people out there that made a parcel shelf for your Gemi what did you do about seatbelts? Where did you mount your belts and how did you do so?

Cheers
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemi parcel shelf Reply with quote

belts wernt a problem didnt have retractable ones
i wouldnt just screw them to the wood maybe cut holes int eh wood where they woudl sit and install teh shelf then sink the seat belt in and screw it to where it originly went

(just rough idea never seen them upclose)
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemi parcel shelf Reply with quote

leave them where they are and make the shelf around them. thats what i did.
TG Turbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemi parcel shelf Reply with quote

that's what I did too. You can't move the seatbelt mounts without having them approved by an engineer.
macca_loto
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemi parcel shelf Reply with quote

Another idea i just had after reading the posts was when you make the shelf cut squares in the shelf around where the seatbelt mounts so that it clears the mounting points. Then when you carpet the parcel shelf make the carpet really taut and then cut slits in it for the seatbelts to come thtough and its still really neat. Cant say ibve ever done it but i cant see it not working/ looking like shit.
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemi parcel shelf Reply with quote

Cheers fella's,

I was gonna just cut a hole in the wood and then bolt the seatbelt part in, but then you said about the carpet and it seems like a real good idea.

Cheers.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gemi parcel shelf - cutting? Reply with quote

I used 16mm mdf and I just cut around the seatbelts BUT... I but 2 x sony 6x9's in and they sound like shit hey. I got spacers as well otherwise they dont fit (big magnet) I know your not suppose to cut the parcell shelf but if I did would there be more bass? Because there is only about 3mm gap around the magnet that is sitting in the hole in the pacell shelf? Any ideas for more bass?
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gemi parcel shelf - cutting? Reply with quote

i set up my shelf so it sat flush with the bottom of the back window and the top of the back seat. i used strips of wood about 2 inches high to increase the gap between the shelf and the steel. i had vdo 6x9's in there and had plenty of clearance from the fuel tank (after cutting the steel a bit)
i think the attraction of the magnet to the steel underneath it counteracts the job that the magnet is trying to do because the magnet is attracted to stuff underneath it. some speakers come with a plastic/rubber casing to go around the magnet.
if u get rid of your spacers and do what i typed above, you should get better bass. but remember, there is only a certain amount of bass that you are going to get out of a set of 6x9's. they're never going to thump like a sub or anything.
i used to have a 15 in my gem and that gave more than enough bass. the sub only cost $129 and running off an amp worth $199 in a box i made myself. it might be worth spending a bit extra cash and doing that instead of burning out your 6x9's.
cheers,
mat
NVMYTG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gemi parcel shelf - cutting? Reply with quote

get rid of the sony's and buy some real speakers!
toymachine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemi parcel shelf - cutting? Reply with quote

With mine, i built the shelf up on blocks of wood, and me speakers fitted in with ease, i can't even remember doing anything to the seatbelts coz i know i didnt have to. The shelf came up a treat, cost me $30 as opposed to strathfield saying they'll do it for $160!! fags.
Highlander
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Gemi parcel shelf - cutting? Reply with quote

i just used 2 sheets of 16mm MDF its fookin solid and those new pioneers with the yellow inners hooked to a small amp pump just as hard as a 10 inch sub
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: