HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

air filters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kilbs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: air filters Reply with quote

what kind of air filter can i put on my gemini and which one will give me the best performance
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: air filters Reply with quote

most ppl go wit a ramflow. i recon they look the best. they all do roughly the same job
SAM 180
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Are RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL Reply with quote

on stock carbie
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Are RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL Reply with quote

Not if you connect the polution lines to it
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Are RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL Reply with quote

then u lose performance
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Are RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL Reply with quote

still better than stock air filter any day Wink
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Are RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL Reply with quote

just!
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Are RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL Reply with quote

sounds tuffer too heh
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Are RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL Reply with quote

i reckon theyre ugly, i like the round chrome ones on the stocko carb
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Are RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL Reply with quote

u use the truck filtrers. and mount it on my roof. gets good flow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL-so how can you install them??? Reply with quote

i dont want to buy an adaptor, well not if they are too expensive, and i don't know if they even make em for gemi's...

what i thought is get a piece of 45'bent metal pipe that goes over the carby, (=3 inches + a bit more to slide over), clamp that on, get a similar size rubber hose cut to desired length- to mount the pod anywhere you want, clamped to the metal pipe bit, then cut a small metal piece again to sit inside the hose,for the pod to clamp on to at the end of the rubber hose- pods usually take a 3 inch pipe into it. drill small holes in the 45 degree bent bit on top of the carby to take the pollution hoses and then it should all be right!?!?
any other ideas, or have i answered my own question???
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL-so how can you install them??? Reply with quote

i got a k&n replacement filter and used it in the standard housing, pretty fuckin expensive though. i wouldn't waste my money on it again, made fuck all difference to performance. i suggest getting a weber or two and getting some ram-flow filters or ram-tubes put on them. don't waste your money on something that you won't use anymore if you change the carby. i think probably the main benefit of a cotton filter would be that they are reusable.
however, if you do decide to use a replacement reusable filter (eg. k&n, maybe finer filters make one too) you could run some house from the snorkel thing on the air cleaner down to the front of the car to duct cold air to the carby.
good luck whichever way you go.
redgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL-so how can you install them??? Reply with quote

yeh i was going to take the whole air cleaner off and put the hose onto the top of the carby bowl thing - which is 3 inches in diameter, and run the pipe to the pod air filter, if i change to a weber then i should be able to use the pod again on the weber, just do a similar set up again...
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL-so how can you install them??? Reply with quote

yeah, that's right, although you might have to get an adaptor made out of steel or something to go onto to top of the carby as there isn't enough room to fit the standard aircleaner housing onto the carby. it tends to hit the shock tower. another thing you could do is get an air box made like the ones that people use on blow through turbo set ups and run piping off that and have a pod at the end. you might be able to find one of these cheaper if someone is selling a full turbo set up and get them to seperate the carby and air box.
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: RAM-FLO's ILLEGAL-so how can you install them??? Reply with quote

What i'm doing at the moment is simmilar, I'm gettin a sealed air box made, (thanx to dads work) in stainless steal, onto a 32/36 webber or 34 adm webber, and from autobarn u can buy the piping and fittings to attach a pod filter to it. Like ppl b4 said i'm gettin all the pollution pipes connected up to make it legal, although most of them will be blocked without being able to see them Wink But yeah if u have them all in the rite places, then it should be legal, altho most cops dont know shit, and tend to say that it's wrong cuz it looks different, but just explain it to them and they should be cool with it. If u really want, u could probably even get an engineering for it, but fuck the waste of money on that
if ya get pulled ova, just fix it and ya sweet
cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: