HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHEEL
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

what did they come out with? alloy? steel? diameter & width?
any help greatly appreciated
sheel
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

13" is all i know
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

hahaha thanks gene i'm mainly after the width... i'm having problems with the police in relation to my wheel width.
i dunno what the laws are for you up there but down in vic ur allowed to go 1 inch wider than the widest rim available from factory in the series of ur model car, my wheels are 16x6.5, meaning they are 1.5 inches over standard and too wide, i'm hoping that CDT TE wheels are wider than normal in which case i would be allowed to refit my wheels on my car!
if any one else haas any ideas please i appreciate ur input!
sheel
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

yeah same rules apply here.im runing 7.5 wide rims. and will probably get defected for it ;P
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

i might be stupid but i think ive read on here before somewhere that the cdt came out wit 15's or 14's. sont take great notice of me but
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

They are 14 inch and I am pretty sure they are 5.5 wide. The CDT wasnt available from the factory, but you maybe lucky and the coppers believe you, its worth a try though.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

Hehe. My wheels are now on my engineering cert (mod plate for most). Cant be touched for anything.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

just cos its engineers dont mean they wont book u for it.
few of my mates have mod plates for some things and still get defected for them
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

Yeah, it's up to you to prove otherwise in court.

From memory the TE CDT's had 13 x 8's (yes that's eight, not a typo), which is why the flares are fitted to the car.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

YEAH!!!! I hope you are right as I have 15x7's and have the same issue as Sheel...

cheers
dumb newbie
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

fuck yeah!!

14x9's hear i come!! woohoo
dumb newbie
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

shit! i gave myself away!!

any proof on this?? (the 8" shit)
LOK15
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

look at the pics of the car yard for the c.d.t's
You'll find that there were no 8" wheels.. even with the flares they only had 6" wide wheels.. bathurst globes, possibly hotwires, good old jelly beans and some other style with 5 spokes and holes drilled in the spokes(not sure on the name there sorry)all were 13" even the turbo series 3.
My old lookalike has 8" on the back.. and even they are nudging the outside of the flares! Not legal but... who cares!
hope this clears things up a bit!
Lok
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: WHEELS ON A CDT TE GEM Reply with quote

Well in canberra should they decide to do you for something like that you rock up to our big rego inspection station and they check off the defect with what is on the copy of the cert and if it checks out you walk away free of charge. As we have RTA inpectors and police handing out that sort of shit, the cops dont have any legal pull as they have no certification to say they know what they are talking about. Still is a pain in the ass though.
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: CDTs = ILLEGAL Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if CDTs were fitted with 13x6s or 15x10 with Mickey Thompsons, the CDT can't be used as a benchmark for modifications because they were not factory built. They built as TE Gemini SL/Xs and fitted with the CDT stuff outside the factory - they had Holden's theoretical approval, but no testing was done (unlike HDT).

In a way, HDT were classed as a seperate manufacturer, and by 1986, they were officially Australia's sixth largest car manufacturer after Nissan. This means that they had some sort of agreement with Holden that Holden supplied bodies with engines and interiors in them and HDT finished them off and sold then (via Holden Dealer Team Dealers) as HDTs.

CDT had so such agreement. As a result, twin-carbs, turbos and the like were never approved by Holdens and in turn, never by our respective Transport Departments.

Gay, but true.

PS - my mate had a CDTs before I ever met him (think I would have let him sell it to anyone but me if I knew him then?). His was defected for the twin carbs that CDT fitted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: