HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

painting extractors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: painting extractors Reply with quote

wat is a good way of getting real old chipped paint off a set of extractors, as i want to repaint them.
TG Turbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: painting extractors Reply with quote

Get them bead blasted. You could also get them sand blasted but this may leave some pitting on the steel
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: painting extractors Reply with quote

if your painting em and dont wanna fork out money for sand blasting get some sand paper
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: painting extractors Reply with quote

paint stripper wont effect the pipes will it?
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: painting extractors Reply with quote

paint stripper shouldnt affect them maybe a wire brush would be a option
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: painting extractors Reply with quote

To get them sandblasted should cost you about $10-$15 bucks. Trust me, do this. I get mine done every 12 months to keep them looking smick. If you don't know where a sandblaster is near you, look in the phone book for a tube fencing place/powder coater. They should be able to put you onto someone.

I have found that the VHT paint isn't very good. I've tried acrylic, 2k and the vht. The best one to use is the dulux spray can enamel. I think mitre 10 stock it. It's good shit actually, comes in heaps of colours. I have used the silver and it has hang on the best out of all of them for about 12 months. Sandblasting leaves a nice rough finish to paint over, without looking yuk. Spray lots of light thin misty coats and let each dry for about 10-15 mintues. Don't try and cover it all in 2 coats!

This is the best way i have found.

cheers
mooch
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: painting extractors... HEY MOOCH. Reply with quote

Just a thought with your next project. Have you considered ceramic coating your extractors/exhaust manifold (HPC or Jethot). A small performance gain can be had as the ceramic keeps the temperature down, the coating looks like polished alloy (in keeping with the black/silver theme), and it's piss easy to keep clean.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: painting extractors... HEY MOOCH. Reply with quote

are you painting the extractors in a result to how they rust ive had mine for a good few months now and they are already starting to rust underneath
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: painting extractors... HEY MOOCH. Reply with quote

racegem, hpc was always one of those i was gonna do but never had the spare cash lying around to get done. For this new project i wanna keep the cost down as amuch as possible. I'm already spending a fair slab of my total budget on the motor with this supercharger thing. I've got crow doing me a custom cam atm. IDAREU2 will being making me a "lenum"in due course out of ali so i don't wanna go overboard.

My old man i having his whole exhaust hpc'd for the injected 304 in our hk. $$ man.

cheers
mooch
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: painting extractors... HEY MOOCH. Reply with quote

Let's just say I know someone... Smile

Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: