HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

malpassi and vl pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: malpassi and vl pump Reply with quote

I think you guys got the wrong idea with your carb fed and forced induction set ups. From what i can see you're using the wrong bits. No need for a high psi pump ie:vl, just high volume. No need for a rising rate fuel reg - just a normal fuel regulator. Something like a holley red and a decent fuel reg will do the trick. You only want to keep the bowl full, not increase fuel pressure. Increasing to 3/8 line might help also.

Does this sound right to you?

cheers
mooch
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: malpassi and vl pump Reply with quote

Hey Mooch,

you need the higher pressure pump and rising rate reg.

You use the rising rate reg to increase the fuel pressure to the carbi as the boost increases otherwise the boost presure is greater than the fuel pressure 5PSI and no fuel in carbi

cheers
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: malpassi and vl pump Reply with quote

If boost pressure exceeds fuel pressure then the fuel will not come out of the jets, it will be pushed back into the bowl. That's why you need a regulator that can keep your fuel pressure a few psi above boost pressure
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: malpassi and vl pump Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out for us Mooch, I knew we were on the wrong track. I couldn't do better than a 13sec quarter when running my carb setup, now I know why!

But seriously, you need a pump capable of high pressure, and a regulator to control that pressure when running a blow through setup.

With a draw through setup, you only need a high flow fuel system, and not allow the fuel pressure to go over the carbs max operating pressure.

Ben Wight
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: malpassi and vl pump Reply with quote

do i detect sarcasm there lol? Yeah i wasn't sure why that's all. So it's really only needed for a blow through set up. Makes sense.

Thanx guys
Mooch
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Ive got the pumps for sale Reply with quote

A bosch HP/LV Pump,

and a Malpassi Fuel Reg Boost dependant, along with swirl pot and prime pump from the Fuel Tank

all to suit a suck thru setup, got pics too

regards
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: malpassi and vl pump Reply with quote

hey ben, what have u done to your engine to make it strongenuf, my do u think my engine could handle around 20psi? (g161 wid g200 block) i will be putting in new rings and bearings, do u think i will need lighter piston? how much can the standards 1's hold up? Is it wise to get a double row timeing chain or not neccasary? r these straight exchange with no modification to get it to fit? And u know how i was talkin to u bout turbo setups etc, is going efi more trouble? Do u selling the inlet manifolds with ya kit, cause i think i might just save up n go efi, prolly use a pulsar loom and an aftermarket computer, what do u think? or just stick 2 carby blow thu setup?

chris...
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ive got the pumps for sale Reply with quote

whats a swirl pot? I know what a surge tank is...
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: malpassi and vl pump Reply with quote

I dont think u need a double row timing chain because for once, You will have a turbo cam which wont have much lift. They are only really needed for high lift cams... I think?
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: malpassi and vl pump Reply with quote

Double row is well worth the extra money... I managed to chip teeth off the crow cams adjustible cam gear with hardened teeth supposedly with a single... this was with a NA g200 runing only a mild cam... double woulda saved me a lot of hassle and only cost bit extra. If u can get adjustable on though pay for it ... its worth it
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ive got the pumps for sale Reply with quote

pretty much the same i guess,

but sits flat not upright??

regards
TG Turbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ive got the pumps for sale Reply with quote

swirl pots are normally mounted inside the fuel tank. Both do the same job though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: