HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Radiator overflow and return feed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Radiator overflow and return feed Reply with quote

Its only a fairly simple mod, but it will save you topping up your radiator if it gets hot and squirts half your coolant out onto the road. You'll need to buy the radiator caps (can't remember the exact name) which have a two way system, eg will vent coolant if its over pressure and the will create a suction as the fluid cools and pull the overflowed fluid back. Then you can use any bottle you can fit in the bay, i used an xb bottle and fitted it just beside the battery. Then a small length of tubing, $2 or so from a radiator repairer and you'll only have to check the overflow bottle is withing min and max and you're pretty well right... I can show people if they need, however its just a simple thing that takes 5 mins and saves occasional hassle, cheers...
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator overflow and return feed Reply with quote

if u can get the radiator cap name I keep to do this Wink where exactly are u?
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Recovery Type Cooling System Reply with quote

It's a recovery system radiator cap you will need. I have an inkling that the TG had a part number that you will find in any cooling system accesory catalogue from Super Cheap, Cheapa Auto, Bursons, Autobarn, Repco etc.
AFAIK all Gemini's had a non-recovery type radiator system, but i could have sworn i came across a two way cap specified for the TG in Super Cheap.
As long as it still has a specified pressure release rating at 15psi, and the appropriate recovery system stamping on the cap, it should be fine to use with an overflow bottle from another vehicle fitted in you engine bay.
The actual name of the company that makes the cap is the same as found on the shelf at all before mentioned auto shops, it comes in a green and yellow packaging but i'm stuffed if i can remember the name on the package.

S N 3 A K Y
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Recovery Type Cooling System Reply with quote

OK Guys, this isnt complex stuff at all. The only difference between the recovery cap is that it seals around the top of the cap as well as the normal spot. All you need to do it grab a cap that's the same size as your gemini one but with the top rubber seal as well. They're very common and can be found at repco, supercheap etc. etc.

They have different pressure ratings on them which is just determined by how strong the spring is. It's similar to the thermostat, once the pressure (temp in a thermostat case) reaches a certain point it opens up and lets the coolant out. This is how a normal cap works also.
The only difference is that when it cools down and the pressure drops normally the cap allows air in to refill the radiator. If you have a fluid retrieval cap the top is sealed so the only way something can re-enter the radiator is through the coolant overflow line.

The coolant overflow line runs to an external bottle and sits below the coolant level in that bottle so that when the radiator vaccum sucks through the overflow line the radiator is filled with the spare fluid from the external bottle.
Scoott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator overflow and return feed Reply with quote

I've been running a overflow tank for six months. I didn't change radiator caps and the system works fine. Under hot conditions the tank level goes up and after it cools it returns to the radiator. I'm running a standard radiator cap, try it, the worst you can do is capture your overflow in the tank!
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Recovery Type Cooling System Reply with quote

Just thought i'd mention it as well it seems not many people had actually thought of it, get the stuff, and you won't be able to stuff it up, its pretty self explanantory...
GEMGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Overflow bottle that fits Reply with quote

The mazda 323 front wheel drive overflow bottles fit snugg, already got holes drilled, just remove one of the radiator nuts put the bracket on, tighten slide bottle in and bobs your uncle!
I had mine on the left hand side without ne problems!
Highlander
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Recovery Type Cooling System Reply with quote

yep i did this mod a few weeks ago piece of piss, just go to supercheap and look up the code for ya normal gemi cant remember the code but its the same packaging mentioned earlier with the 2 rubber seals i found the front of the wheelgueard under the battery was a good mounting spot if you wanna keep ya bay lookin neat just remember to leave enough room so you can top the bottle up if need be
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Overflow bottle that fits Reply with quote

VK washer bottle and radiator overflow fits in the corner of the engine bay too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: