HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Replacing Lower Ball Joints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAM 180
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Replacing Lower Ball Joints Reply with quote

is there a way you can replace your lower ball joints without taking off your lower control arm, cos mine just snapped while reversing out a driveway... and my friends said theyd give me a hand if there is a way...
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints Reply with quote

no u have to take the arm out.
its only 3-4 bolts work

unless all ya mates wanna help out lift the car up into a pres :d hehe

u need them pressed in.
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints Reply with quote

yeah i tried puttin em on without taking it off and it impossble cant get em in far enough....mine snapped while driving round a corner but i hit a kerb goin 50 ks the weekend bfore that when i whipped it around a corner lost it doin snakies ...then a week later my upper snapped so check the upper aswell if u did sumthing stupid...for ex hittin a kerb lmao...upper are piss easy to put on
SAM 180
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints Reply with quote

nah i was just reversing out a driveway... took an hour and a half to get it onto car trailor...after trying so many methods, in the end we jacked up the arm and g clamped it while taking off 15" mag and putting on stockie with nuts as spacer in order for the wheel to not hit the tyre...
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Lower Ball Joints Reply with quote

yes there is a way to change lower ball joint.

1.support car well.... remove spring.

rest lower arm on solid wood with room for ball joint to come out, heat lower arm with oxy, and bash ball joint with big hammer until it comes out.

2. freeze new ball joint over night in freezer. then reheat lower arm and put ball joint in place and this time sit the ball joint on the wood then hit arm carefully with hammer until the balljoint is abck in it's place.

done this a could of times works fine unless some dick head previously welded the back of the balljoint in place....

cheers
Eggy
cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: