HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Rust Repairing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Rust Repairing Reply with quote

I got a shitload of rust in my boot and dont know what way to go about fixing it. I was wondering if Anyone in Adelaide was willing to help me fix it. I can pay the person in booze or parts or money. The car isnt finished yet, so its got no rego so it isnt moving anywhere.

Cheers,
Pavlos.
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Repairing Reply with quote

how much did you wanna spend?

cheers
mooch
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Repairing Reply with quote

I dont know yet. Im seeing a mate soon to see if he can do it. He was gonna charge $150 and a carton for my TC, but the TG is a bit worse. There is a hole in the boot where the spare goes that I could fit a small child through. There are also other spots in there as well and minor rust in the floorpan. Also, I have a ding in the arse end that has to be taken out, so Im guessing that a panelbeater would be the way to go.

Cheers,
Pavlos.
Highlander
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Repairing Reply with quote

I used to suffer from 'burnoutsmokeinyourboot-itis' aswell and damn near rebuilt the entire boot myself it was hanging by a threat before i aimed a light through the bottom of it at night to see the pretty light display flinstones style.. i scrubbed in the rust converter and let it work its magic for a day then returned to layer the entire boot widthways with fibreglass strips.
Dont forget to mask up the outside to create a flat surface and prevent the resin from dripping through i layered it about 5 times so its probably stronger than the original now proceed from there to the outside of the car, now you can use the fibreglass layers to work off for your bog. then i slapped a few nice thick coats of body deadener to the inside and outside.. for good measure i added about a cup of fish-oil to litre of body deadener you wouldnt even be able to pick i had no boot now i also fibreglassed up all the floor plugs when i was doing the rebuild.
hope it helps for a DIY word of warning though dont do what i did and buy about 5 packets from supercheap go to bunnings or somewhere and buy everything in bulk it gets costly.
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Repairing Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, but I have nothing to put the fibeglass onto. Half of the boot is gone. I need to weld the a plate in and then fibreglass it. I just dont have a mig welder or decent welding skills. Once thats in, I will be able to do what you did to finish it off.

Cheers,
Pavlos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: