HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

my fuel guage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: my fuel guage Reply with quote

when i fill my car to the brim the petrol guage jumps like crazy until about 50 kays after it will sit normal...

is it an earth or what?!!?!
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: my fuel guage Reply with quote

i just had this same problem except mine did it anywere above half full
we thought it was an earth or the sender and we tryed everything
anyway it turns out it is a bad connection inside the sender you have to pull it apart and make sure that the needle inside the sender is touching the metal as it slides all the way up and down hard to explain but you have to pull the sender apart
HighTeK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: my fuel guage Reply with quote

hehe, Its the sender unit,

How it works:

I piece of metal rubs anlong a coil, when its all the way to one side of the coil it will read full, when the metal is on the other side, it will read empty. The float is contected to this piece of metal and reads whats in the tank.

What is happening in your case is the piece of metal is leaving contact with coil.

I had the same problem (and so does my G'friends car a toyota seca)

How to fix: replace the sender unit in the fuel tank, or repair it (i did years ago and its still working sweet)

1. Unscreew and pull out sending unit (make sure u have only a bit of fuel or it will go everywhere)

2. Pull apart carefully the metal box (bend the wings straight)

3. now inside, u will c how the unit works, notice how the metal arm slides up and down the coil. (this is where the fault lies)

4. OK, here it is : Make sure the metal arm DOES NOT leave contact with the coil, this will cause false readings.
If it does leave the coil, bend the metal arm so it doesn't leave the coil.

Method= I pushed the arm past the coil and then bent the arm down, Then i turned the arm back around onto the coil.

Now it rubs along the coil with more force. and wont leave contact!!!.

Now put back together.

More info dean_weiniger@hotmail.com

hope this helps, it shouldn't take more than 30 mins.
Winterheart
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: my fuel guage Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for that post, I'll check the replacement fuel gauge sender unit that I've got to replace my current one, as mine suddenly decided to die this week as well.

Very informative post, this is what I believe these forum are all about.

Top work, many thanks.

Cheers Smile
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: my fuel guage Reply with quote

your a champ, while your on a role can u tell me if TG fuel gauges always fuck up? gauge not sender
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: