HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

relocating battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: relocating battery Reply with quote

anyone relocated their battery to the boot? im looking into doing it in a tx coupe. itd be a fair assumption to make that there would be a certain level of voltage drop; my question is, if anyone has done it, is how did you rectify the problem?

cheers,
goons
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: relocating battery Reply with quote

If you use a decent guage wire you shouldn't have any probs with voltage drop, 0.01 of an ohm resistance in the cable doesn't leave much room for a voltage to drop over the length. Speak to an auto elec for wire guage sizing and you shouldn't have any probs...
Winterheart
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: relocating battery Reply with quote

As Reddez mentioned, if you use decent gauge wire, you won't have to worry about voltage drop. The absolute smallest gauge I would recommend using would be 4 gauge wire for the run from boot to engine bay. Anything smaller will not be able to carry sufficient amperage.

Also ensure that your cable run is fused as close as possible to the battery, as you really don't want to develop a short on a cable that could be carrying anything up to 100+amps unfused! Surprised

One final thing to consider is that under the ADR's, the battery must be in a sealed box that is vented to the outside of the car.

Cheers Smile
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: relocating battery Reply with quote

Hey Goons,

Whats your reasons for wanting it in the boot?
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: relocating battery Reply with quote

Only has to be vented if the battery ISNT fully sealed. Id get a fully sealed one anyway coz who wants any chance of batteryacid covering your freshly decked out and carpeted boot.

Loz
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: relocating battery Reply with quote

the battery has to be boxed and sealed compleatly and vented to the outside of the car, UNLESS u use a dry cell battery
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: relocating battery Reply with quote

Doesnt have to be dry cell. As long as it is a FULLY SEALED battery ie. one that says maintainence free & FULLY SEALED. It does have to be boxed and secured though.

The only reason for having to vent them is that non sealed batterys vent noxious fumes, hence not needing to vent a fully sealed calcium battery as it is felly sealed and doesnt release any fumes.
DOHC_TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: relocating battery Reply with quote

When i relocated my battery to the boot i used a roll of wire from a welder (earth wire) and i earthed the battery to tha body and tha gearbox. I also got tha battery in a box bolted to tha floor and a few holes in tha floor of tha box for ventilation.

Wen i got a Permit for tha fitment of tha G200W i also got tha guy to giv tha battery in tha boot a look and he said it was fine and gave me a permit for that aswell.

Hope this helpz (sorry for tha long post)

cheers
UaniAndGeMini
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: relocating battery Reply with quote

why would ya want ur battery in ya boot ????cant think of any reasons???
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: relocating battery Reply with quote

To make your engine bay neater, to allow room for air filter or intercooler piping, closer to stereo equipment, better weight distribution (hahaha), the original battery seat has rusted away....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: