HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Whats the best wood to use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Whats the best wood to use? Reply with quote

Im starting plans for making my new boot...

I am gonna use mdf but as a base and the plank things to hold everything up, what would be the best? im not sure whether to put my tyre underneath everything or leave the tyre where its sposed to go and just have enough room for the jack to go under. It is a 12inch woofer so i need the room...

so anyways, after the base planks, then what? MDF as the floor?

i am going to use mdf for the sides and back but the floor as well?

just need some tips etc.
Cheers,
Hones

serious replies please, no jokes about me getting wood or anything. thanks
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the best wood to use? Reply with quote

yeh mdf or ply wood. atleast 5mm thick

chris...
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the best wood to use? Reply with quote

MDF is good to use as long as it doesn't get wet, if you have even a slightly leaky boot it'll swell up huge, you're gonna be carpeting it anyways (i'd say) so really what type of wood doesn't really matter, mdf is good for craft and shaping, but if you're just talking panels anything would be fine if its strong enough. However MDF has good sound deadening characteristics for the box as its is a very dense wood...
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the best wood to use? Reply with quote

yeah if ur going to use the MDF be sure to get the boot seal re-done, as it was leaky when i had the car.
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the best wood to use? Reply with quote

MDF is waht all car audio stores use for instals. best for sound qaulity. also DONT use ply for your box. and i would us 15mm at least anything smaller will split and flex with a woofer enclosure. u dont want flex cos it decreses volume
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the best wood to use? Reply with quote

hehehe hones said wood.

MDF is the only way to go. and as gene said dont go anything below 15mm for the box and make sure that you make the box to the exact volume recomended for the sub

are you doin it yourself. it should turn out preety good since you have had plenty of wood handling experiences in the past hhahahah sorry it was to temping
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the best wood to use? Reply with quote

MDF is good for the box as i said because of its density, but its extremely sensitive to water, for the rest of the install use a cheaper wood that won't be a hassle if it gets wet at all, if its carpeted who'd know???
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the best wood to use? Reply with quote

Like everyone has said MDF is the best to use, but i recommend to use thick mdf only for the box, thats all that really needs it. And use ply or something else for the panels. Only because u need to get weight down, and mdf is pretty heavy dependin on thickness and also the water situation. and yeah carpet or vinyl it whateva suits ya fancy.
goodluck.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the best wood to use? Reply with quote

Definately MDF for the box. For the floor use only marine ply so if it gets wet it stays the same shape. I used thin MDF for the sides front and back with a waterproofing agent sprayed on before the carpet went down.

Loz
toymachine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the best wood to use? Reply with quote

I used 16mm MDF/9mm MDF and that shitty chipboard with the water proof covering. All because i got it for $5! anyway i did mine not that long ago, it came out pretty good, carpeted it all and im happy. Just have to make a tyre cover. did me sub box with 16mm mdf, loads of gap filler and heaps of screws. allup cost me about $60. I got pics if u wanna c em?? if u want i can upload them to a site. u interested?...these are basically step by step pics. cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: