HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Is it easy to drop in a 3.8 V6?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Beast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Is it easy to drop in a 3.8 V6? Reply with quote

hey i got a Te gemini and now am goin to drop in a V6 3.8 lt but i need to know how hard it is to do b4 i go ahead and if there are any mods which need to be done if there are it would be great to hear bout them! cheers fellas, N!ck...
Winterheart
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is it easy to drop in a 3.8 V6? Reply with quote

From memory when I looked into doing it in the ACT, there needed to be a 3/4 chassis built into the body of the gem, substantial stiffening carried out, very substantial brake upgrade carried out, and then it all needed to be checked and certified by an RTA engineer. I decided against doing it simply from the sheer cost of it for those reasons.
HTH Cheers Smile
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is it easy to drop in a 3.8 V6? Reply with quote

this particular conversion has been spoken about soooo many times that ppl are getting sick of answering!! so i would recommend doing a search of the forums, there you will find an enormous amount of info on fitting these motors, and even some contacts who do conversion kits and who would also be able to answer any questions or concerns!

cheers,
kevo
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: its easy Reply with quote

iv done it 3 times for mates now

u need to strengthen the boddy of the gemini as it has no chassis to start with.
get two 2metre long pieces of 1"x1" box steel and get under the car and ether hex screw or weld (depending on how much time uhave) the box sections to the inder side (one on left one on the right)

i used porsche boxer engine mounts to mount the engine. these site the v6 perfictly. just there a bit expencive ($200 for the 2). u need ot redrill the holes for the engine side of the left mount. but thats eays.

sump. well u just lowered the engien in till it hit the crossmember then where ever it fouled i smashed it with a hamer till it fit. works fine and saves $$

tail shaft. u need a shorter one. i used one out of a 99 wrx. there the prfict size. but u will need to change the front uni and spline for the one on the commodore.

fuel system. cheap way i did it was run 6 gemini stock pumps. 2 to fill the surg tank (old milk bottle) and 4 to pump to the engine.

its and easy conversion man. i recon u and a mate could have it done in about 2-3 days
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: ah bullshit gene Reply with quote

dont listen to him, all you have to do is unbolt your 1600, and drop the commo injun in,and bolt it up, its simple as. gene just likes to make things diffucult for newbies
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ah bullshit gene Reply with quote

or u could just bore out ur 1600 to a 3.8 litre V6 that way u can use ur existing motor!! YAY!!
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ah bullshit gene Reply with quote

or if u had money you could just drive your car into a workshop and say fit a 3.8 in her and walk away. preety simple
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it easy to drop in a 3.8 V6? Reply with quote

If it was easy, then every second person would have done it instead of a turbo conversion, or even a rotor.
PLZ51N
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it easy to drop in a 3.8 V6? Reply with quote

Der
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it easy to drop in a 3.8 V6? Reply with quote

*fart*
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: real answer Reply with quote

check v6conversions.com.au
i think thats the site
it's not that expesive for the parts but enginering
would cost a bit i think
the vn-vt motor is actually lighter than a stock 1600
so handaling would improve as well
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: real answer Reply with quote

Don't use the VN Series 1 motor, they have offset crank journals and are thereore pretty shitty for performance apps. VS on ecotecs are a better way to go. Only thing is they have an alloy sump so need to be modded by a profesh. Castlemaine rod shop does em - As do rod tech i believe here in SA.

The ecotec motors are slightly smaller than the non ecotecs too, and are a much better engine all round.

cheers
mooch
Green Machine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it easy to drop in a 3.8 V6? Reply with quote

Thank god someone asked this, i was beginning to think that people might have got the idea that it is basicly pointless!
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: real answer Reply with quote

Thanks for the rap mooch (wink)

aluminium my specialty

http://clik.to/bowtieracing
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: IDAREU2 Still Rocks!! Reply with quote

More Cubes, More Louder, More PHATter,

A V8 would be the Best way to go all day,

One Day, Leroy will be in contact, a long time in the near future (say 2 years for a conversion kit)

regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: