HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

rota

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: rota Reply with quote

just wondering does n e one really no how much rota's cost?

cheers
15psi
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: rota Reply with quote

For a good reco 1 not much, but they cost an arm and a leg to maintain. If ur after real power go a rota, if ur after cheap power go a 4 banger turbo or sumfin... What kinda rota u looking at?
kingy
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: rota Reply with quote

im not i was just wondering cos me mate has a gemi wagon shell in good nick...just seein how much they are might whack one in
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rota Reply with quote

i bought my 13b pp for $1500!!!!! but only for the clutch/cr mo flywheel and 48ida weber. I then took it to rotormax so they could pull it apart and see why it was down on compression. broken apex seals was all what was wrong with it. $1000 bucks later and i have a rebuilt race motor that has done 12.72 at willowbank!!! look through the trading post for bargains like this!
overit
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: rota Reply with quote

thats not really a bargain man look through the sydney trader and u get new motors for that
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rota Reply with quote

so that works out to be about $2500 for a rebuilt 13b pp. that's fuckin good i say. plus with a 48ida weber, those things cost about $800 at the cheapest. I think a lot of people say that rotors are hard to maintain because they don't really understand them. If you get them built by somebody who knows what they are doing, then you won't have any problems. If you flog the bejesus out of it, like most people who drive rotors probably do, then of course it will decrease the engine life, but the same thing will happen if you cane a 4 banger.
Generally, if you want to do a rotary conversion, the carby engines are cheaper to put in because u don't have to fuck around with a computer and wiring loom and stuff like that. I got quoted $500 labour plus parts for a 13b carby engine into my TG, the EFI engine was $1000 labour plus parts.
Also, make sure u test the compressions and stuff on the engines before u get them. if one has cracked and apex seal or something like that, it will cost at least $1000 to fix it and if it chipped badly enough, it could of scored the rotors and the rotor housings which would make them unusable. a new rotor and rotor housing is about $650 each, so $1300 in total.
Rotors are awesome, i love them big time but just be careful when you buy one.
Good luck
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rota Reply with quote

"not really a bargain" yeah right, how bout the $800 or so bucks worth of racing beat flywheel? light as with cut in ringgear not pressed on? how bout the rejetted 48 IDA for the PP? worth around $1000 secondhand with the manifold. How bout the series 3 electronic dizzy? as well as a virually new motor. Proper pp rebuilds can cost upto $5000 just for the long motor. if someone reckons they can do a pp for under $2500 then they are prolly backyarders who don't know squat bout rotaries or they are hot. Bottom line: i could sell this package for $5000 easy but why would i? the trading post is full of crap u gotta sift through to find gold.
overit
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: rota Reply with quote

no u couldnt sel it for that ur just quoting the most expensive prices ud pay for the stuff lets talk about 48idas sydney wow u can get forom $350 and up on manifolds
lets talk about paccty motor u can get them for rebuilt for between 1500- 2000 so what u on about
ud never get 5000 for a pp i got my series 3 dizzy for $50 so u like to pay heeps for all ur stuff hey well thats good
try a 12a turbo $300 short motor thats run 11s in an rx2 ur heeps good man but ill let beleive what u want
overit
tinkerer

no u couldnt sel it for that ur just quoting the most expensive prices ud pay for the stuff lets talk about 48idas sydney wow u can get forom $350 and up on manifolds
lets talk about paccty motor u can get them for rebuilt for between 1500- 2000 so what u on about
ud never get 5000 for a pp i got my series 3 dizzy for $50 so u like to pay heeps for all ur stuff hey well thats good
try a 12a turbo $300 short motor thats run 11s in an rx2 ur heeps good man but ill let beleive what u want
overit
tinkerer

tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: rota Reply with quote

well up here ya cant get a secondhand 48 webber for under $800, and the amount of work in elkys motor is worth way more than the 2500 he has paid.
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: rota Reply with quote

"12 turbo short motor that run's 11's" phffft what bout the turbo costs? and other bit's like fuel pumps? just cause u got parts dirt cheap you think that is the market average? bottom line: my set up was cheap but that's not the norm. The rotary business is full of sharks who want rip u off with crap. My motor has a guarantee for RACING try to find some1 who does that on the cheap and not some bargain bin dizzy fred who knows jack bout rotors. That said this is the end of this discussion. i was in sydney and the trading post was full of "bargains" but u'd wonder how much of the stuff was hot?
overit
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: rota Reply with quote

fair enough but no 1 would pay 5gs for a rota mota unless it hadnt been turned over
overit
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: rota Reply with quote

came with a hybrid turbo not hot motor was built by rotamotive now thats all there is to say
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: