HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Brakes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mod Coupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Brakes Reply with quote

I recently did a brake upgrade to commodore disc/drum setup and found that the discs make the front wheel base 15mm on each side wider than the rear, hq discs are the same size and will bring the wheels in 12mm on each side. But i have found after endless problems with a master cylinder (seal kept tearing), that now even with a new cylinder the pedal travels a long way before any good brake action happens. I was reading about someone who put on an xa falcon master cylinder on but does it clear an injection manifold, and does it work properly? Van anybody else post some info on brake up grades? Cheers
sime
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

I was told to use a XA or XB Ford master Cylinder and also lengthen the booster push rod to 75mm max.
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

The XB master bolts up with no mods, however i'm not sure if it'll clear an injection manifold, it is shorter but it is also a touch wider and the piping is a pain in the arse to bend up. I was advised to lengthen the rod 2.5mm and it seems ok, however there is some firewall flex i am goin to have to brace for which is giving a slight spongy feel as the original brace obviously won't bolt up now.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

what brace are u talking about??

also the xb master
i went to buy one and they said theres about 4 different xb master's. do u have a part number to identify exactly what xb master i need to get?
cheers gene
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

There was a l shaped bracket on the original master cylinder which attatched to the engine bay, this braced against firewall flex,, now without it under a hard stop you can see the firewall flex, this will create some sponginess feeling, i'll let everyone know when i get around to actually doing it. As for the master cylinder i'll get back to ya, either that or email peter at hoppers stoppers and he'll know. The info is somewhere at home...
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

you might have to get the metal brake lines flared at the end. i noticed they were leaking when i put VL turbo brakes on. i also noticed the pedal went down further than normal, but doesnt go to the floor so im not going to worry about it. i had to machine abit of the face off the VL hubs to bring the wheels back in. they stuck out alot further than normal.
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

how would changing discs make the wheel stick out further?
The disc sits behind the hub so it shouldnt make a difference.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

thicker disk will push the hub out furthre
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

If that happens you must be doing something wrong.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

mine didnt do it, but im guessing thats what there talking about
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

Hey gene i checked that master cylinder, the only info it has on it is 23L1 on the front of it, its a PBR one, if thats not enough info email hoppers stoppers...
EVLJT
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

Depending on the brake upgrade will depend if the wheel moves out at all. I f you the commo disc and caliper, the setup go's from a fixed disc to a floating disc, hence pushing the wheel out by about 10-12mm. the disc now sits on the outer face of the hub
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

ummmmm no....

the VL turbo disk are about 2-3 times as thick as standard gemini ones (im not talking about the outer part of the disk where the pads grip to, the part where the studs come through) and thats why i had to machine the face of it down
EVLJT
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

Maybe you should read the explaination again, I know what you are talking about, I did the conversion over 3 years ago.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes Reply with quote

i cant find no "brace" on my td so i have no clue what ya talking about?
any word on the part number of the ford master?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: