HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

HELP: Head Conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: HELP: Head Conversion Reply with quote

hey,
i've just done a head swap on my tg 1600 to a big valve head off an earlier model... anyway.. its the first time i have changed a head and it all went reasonably well (besides not knowing i was going to have to grind a hole for the mechanical fuel pump to fit on to the older head).

my trouble has started when trying to start the car again.. it took ages to do anything besides turn over... but then there was a massive bang through one of the cylinders... i'm not sure if the valve gaps were set correctly when i re assembled everything... would this cause the misfire?

sorry for any ignorance or stupidity (its my first head swap)

any help appreciated... cheers

Ryan
ExGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Head Conversion Reply with quote

Did you move the dizzy at all?? Sounds like timing.
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Head Conversion Reply with quote

Yeh the distributor was taken out and not set correctly again so I'd say that would be it!

Thanks

- Ryan
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Head Conversion Reply with quote

Naturally you put the engine at T.D.C and set your cam up at at T.D.C ??
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Head Conversion Reply with quote

yeh did that... you mean matching the mark on the camshaft to the mark on the cam housing... and matching "T" mark on timing scale to mark on flywheel?

cheers

ryan
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Head Conversion Reply with quote

sorry mark on *crankshaft pully* not flywheel
pig75
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Head Conversion Reply with quote

You do know that the crank turns twice to the camshaft. So it might have been on BDC. True TDC is when slot for the dizzy drive faces the front
ExGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP: Head Conversion Reply with quote

Unless the oil pump was put in 180 degrees out.
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: HELP: Head Conversion Reply with quote

cheers guys... turns out one of the carby manifold gaskets wasn't sealed properly and a valve was stuffed... thnks for the help

Ryan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: