HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Rota'ized Gemz
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
15psi
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

Who out there has one, gettin' one, or had one? I have lotsa engine choices for my Gem ('81 TE) but I dunno where to start. I can't get a turbo or blown 4 banger cos Insurance wont cover me, so Im thinking about a rotary. What are they like for driving everyday? Cos this gem will be my daily driver. I wanna get an EFI version of a 13B but dunno if they came out standard with EFI n/a! I've been told to if u have a whole car full of ppl, ull loose power cos Rota's rely on light weight!! I wanna use this car not only as a dail driver, but burnouts and drifting!!!!! Thanks guys
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

go the 2.6L
or the DOHC 2L
or the DOHC 1.8L
or a worked G200
or a worked G180
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

rotors arent real reliable. if you give them a hard time they will shit themselves pretty quick. unless its been built to handle it.

id stear toward the 2.6 rodeo motor. they are heaps torquie (good for burnouts) and can take a fare floggin

or even get a worked 1.6, it all depends on what sorta money you have to play with
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

if insurance is your concern i wouldnt get a rotory. insurance companys arnt stupid, they know how quick rotorys are. a rotory car is almost as expencive on insurance as a turbo 4
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

power for $ go the rotor
a 13bNA can have injection
only thing is 13b=a 2.6L so depending on were u
are engineers might be a prob
15psi
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

I've looked into a Rodeo 4ZE1 motor, I've been told that there is alota stuffing around to fit it in the gemz. I've also been looking at a Nissan CA18DET motor but as my budget is very low, i want sumfin that will basically fit in with ease, but wif the EFI. How much do 4ZE1 motors go for? I can get a CA18DET motor wif all electrics for $1,600!! But as no one has a conversion kit for this motor, will make it harder to fit, and theres all my money gone!!
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

u ave more fabricating with a rotoy than with a nissan 4 banger
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

Yeah I know that, but there are converison kits out for the rotor!!
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

have u rung around for conversion kits for the nissan engins.
roccos performance do them.

there only engin mounts and sump. not rocket scince
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

do you know how much roccos kits are or anyone else who does them.
ExGem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

I have a 13b 6port with efi for sale at the moment. Comes with standard computer, coilpacks, heavy duty ceramic button 4 puck clutch, and series 4 turbo gearbox $1500 neg.

Also rust3 rotors are built to rev and all mine have been extremely reliable so before giving someone a bum steer I'd be checking your info, maybe something first hand prehaps???

As has been said time and time before maintenance is a very important part of owning a rotor more so then piston. If you can't afford to service your car regularly don't buy one, simple. If you can you will not want anything else!!
DR_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

Very true Exgem
A 13b six port is a good bargain basement, as with rotaries, reliability only realy starts to come into play with either big porting (Bridge, J, or PP) or with turbo. Thats where your seals are placed under enormous stress.

Remember also that rotors dont have as many moving parts as a piston engine, meaning if looked after, less stress. Then again, i've seen J-Ports in my own eyes rev to 13,500 revs on a single 48IDA.

Six ports arent massive in their port structure and as such will not wear the apex's as easily as monsters or bridgies.

BTW - in response to your budget - $1600 you said will break or just make your budget - there is very little in the way of REAL performance that can be had for that price unless you buy a car already modded. Remember, mounting alone of a different engine starts at almost the budget you've provided yourself with.

My shitload for the day

Good luck
pazzo_gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

im going the rotary path myself. already got three rx4's 1 rota, 1 v8, 1 mo motor. not happy with my 2lt twin webber setup
BOB the chicken
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

it would be cheaper to just go the rodeo 2.6 litre than bother with a rotary, it will also cost you less.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rota'ized Gemz Reply with quote

there 1 place in brissy cant think of the name and a joint in tawoomba who can do them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: