HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

To port or not to port?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toymachine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: To port or not to port? Reply with quote

Ok this is me first sub box im gunna make with the redoing of me boot. I've only got one 10" sub @ the moment so i wanna make the most of it. Should i port it or just leave it closed? does one give better bass? And what about that padding stuff inside the box (i dunno wat its called) will i need any of that. I was gunna do about a cubic foot. But i dunno if its right or if u can comment coz its different for every sub eh. Thnx guys -RH
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: To port or not to port? Reply with quote

porting will depend on what type of sub it is and what its designed for, u will need a larger box if you port it and it will be louder but loose some clearity. i have a JL 12 in a box about 500mm square and its enough to vibrate everything.
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: To port or not to port? Reply with quote

hey man in relation to dampening material, it is only meant for a sealed enclosure, giving the sub the impression that it is in a slightly larger box. look up the specs of your sub and it will tell you whether it is suited to a sealed, vented or free air environment.. i wouldn't recommend going against the specs of the sub as you'll find it wont sound as good as it should.

cheers
NeWaZ
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: To port or not to port? Reply with quote

the best thing to do is mount the sub with the box sealed see what it sounds liek if you dont like it port it

sealed is a more punchy bass
ported is more rolling or booming bass almost just behind the music
Knobby
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: To port or not to port? Reply with quote

go sealed man, ported "can" get louder, but a sealed box sounds better... in my opinion anyway. just don't skimp out on buying a decent amp. as for size, ... as mentioned previously check the specs, but 1cubic foot is generally a bit to big for a 10" sub, go more like .8-.9 cubic foot. chuck a bit of old pillow material in the box, and she'll sound a treat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
peanut buttered
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: To port or not to port? Reply with quote

If you want to know about sub boxes, this months hot4s mag has a 4 page article on this very thing.

peanut man
toymachine
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: To port or not to port? Reply with quote

Sweet thnx lads, theres a bitta light shining above now i think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: