HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Drop Tank Conversion Q

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Drop Tank Conversion Q Reply with quote

G'day,
The drop tank conversion (think it's buried in R&D somewhere) sounds good, except for step number 4

4-You will notice that the line of the rail on the passenger side is not as straight as the D/S rail..You must cut 5mm into the D/S chassis rail.. and then use a measurement of the width of the tank to get the boot floor cut to size.

Cut into the chassis rail? That can't be right, or legal, or safe.
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop Tank Conversion Q Reply with quote

have u had a good look at gemi rails, they are so weak there not right from factory lol, if you weld a piece of 8mm flat bar on to of the rail u have cut or some box section it will be stronger than standard.
QldRobbo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop Tank Conversion Q Reply with quote

that's all well and good... I was more talking about getting the drop tank engineered they probably aren't going to like you cutting the chassis rail, regardless of it subsequently being stronger or not
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop Tank Conversion Q Reply with quote

ive looked into it, and all i need in qld is a mod plate, i was going to cut the floor in mine and weld in a box section rienforcing and bolt the tank to that which the guy would give me a plate for,
Tex
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop Tank Conversion Q Reply with quote

I dont know about what tank you are using or which part of the tank hits but cant you just "tap" the edge of the tank with a hammer? 5mm is fuck all to bend!
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop Tank Conversion Q Reply with quote

Wouldnt taping a tank with a hammer risk punching a hole thru it or put cracks thru it causing leaks? and why would you need a drop tank unless your floor is extremely rusty??

Nick-
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Tank Conversion Q Reply with quote

i was going to make a custom alloy tank from the wheel well to the other side of boot, or modify a wagon tank but just didnt get round to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: