HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

custom roofless gemi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: custom roofless gemi Reply with quote

has any1 thought of chopping the middle out of the roof? like this coupe

http://www.hotgemini.com/cgi-bin/gallery2.cgi?action=sc&vid=166&car=0

i had this idea b4 i found this pic, i have a sedan tho, i am lookin at cutting 100-200mm around the edge of the roof from the windows, keeping the back window. The support will still be there cause the pillars will still b there and the bracing that is just under the roof will not be cut out, i'm going to reinforce it with some more metal over the original supports for looks etc... What does anyone think? i'm pretty sure it will b legal if i leave the support brakets in that go over the roof. I 'm also working out how i can sought out a bolt on design so the top can be put back on , soughta like 300zx style. Any thoughts on this. Iam doing this because there is a fair amount of rust around the sunroof (hones old gem), it's bare shell now. It's gonna b 4 shows and weekends drives etc not everyday use. I was thinking also instead of being able to put roof section back on and off maybe i could have a sheet of glass or perspex cut to the right dimensions, would this all be remotly possible? Anyone know where to go to get the perspex or glass? i have access to all the tools etc for the job i just wanna know your thoughts etc

cheers

chris...
HighTeK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: custom roofless gemi Reply with quote

There r not enough Gem's like this, If u have all the tools, go for it.
HONES
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: custom roofless gemi Reply with quote

if you do it, and then go see h0ow legal it is, thats stupid...

you do your research because for all you know, it could cost up to 5000 plus to make that roof-roadworthy.
thorough research is needed.

if worse comes to worst, you can weld another roof in cant u? smooth it over, etc.
Gem_A9R
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: custom roofless gemi Reply with quote

I help Rick Ludgate Build that Coupe. It Passed Engineers with no Chassis Mods, As longs as there is No Sharp Edges.
There is no need to make up exta Strenghing due to Ya only removing Sheetmetal and no Pillars.
Ricks Car Cost $5000 including Paint.
I've seen others Geminis both Sedan and Coupes do that same way(3 In NSW All Same Owner, Featured in Fast Fours)
So anything Is Possible,One Of the Above Mentioned had a Half Cage and the Rest were like Ricks.
So just do ya Research b4 ya Cut up a Car.
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: custom roofless gemi Reply with quote

it souns like a plan if you onlycut the sheet metal out
a targa style would be go but it would costv a shit load
if i had no roof i would definatly have a half cage for
protection
dunger
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: custom roofless gemi Reply with quote

man u have giot me thinkin about makin a gem convertable with only the windscreen, and a roll cage i am gonna look into this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: