HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

4ZE1 question.... (Not how to put it in...)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: 4ZE1 question.... (Not how to put it in...) Reply with quote

I asked this in a reply a couple of pages back but i thought i would bring it up here again....

I have a 4ZE1 Motor which i am installing in my TX Gemini Coupe and just have a couple of Questions Regaurding the motor

On the 4ZE1 is the eariler or later model inlet better than the other??? Are tjey interchangable????Same question for the Heads.... can the both got on to each head??? ie Early head with later inlet or Later Head with Early inlet???

Same question for the Heads....Will an early head go on a later model block???

Also what are some distiguisable features about the early and later motors so i can tell which one i have?

Cheers in advance.

Ben
Sparrow
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 4ZE1 question.... (Not how to put it in...) Reply with quote

As far as the inlet manifolds go, i've seen two different models from a Rodeo 4ZE1.

I have what i think is the earlier model manifold. It has a single butterfly throttle body, the plenum is a different shape with no markings on it, the top feed fuel rail connects to the injectors via hoses, the injectors push into the manifold and are then srewed down by plates, and the thermistat housing mounts on the the top of the manifold.

The other (later model) manifold seemed to have a larger throttle body (possibly twin butterfly, didn't really take notice), the injectors pushed into the manifold and then the top feed fuel rail pushed straight onto the injectors (no hoses), the plenum looked 'chunkier' and the thermistat housing was underneath the manifold (by memory).

Other than that, both flanges and inlet runners looked like they would bolt to G-series heads the same.... hope this helps.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 4ZE1 question.... (Not how to put it in...) Reply with quote

I have similar but different experiences. I've been buying 4ZE1 efi manifolds for a while, i've found that:

about '88-'92 manifolds have twin butterfly throttle bodies, different injectors but are rail feed, not hose tail injectors. The plenum has the word 'ITEC' cast into the back of it in the same fashion as a piazza efi manifold has the word 'TURBO' cast into the back of it.

The '92-'97 efi manifolds have a large single butterfly throttle body, with delco rail feed 330cc delco injectors (red). The plenum has no words cast into the back of it. As these are later model manifolds, the injectors are usually cleaner, and there is very little corrosion in the water galleries.

They both share the same mounting stud pattern, as do the piazza manifolds, as do G series SOHC engines.

BTW, the piazza manifold has hose tail injectors.

If anyone wants a photo of the late model efi manifolds, mail me (wight@giant.net.au) as I have some photos of manifolds that I am selling.

Ben Wight
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 4ZE1 question.... (Not how to put it in...) Reply with quote

are the heads for the 4ze1 any diferent or was it just manifold changes??? which one is better fo performance??? could you send me the pics of the manifolds as well as prices of the manifolds you are selling...

cheers
Ben

byteme22@optushome.com.au
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: