HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

rust repair dramas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doomboy_666
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

i had a few rust spots on my front quarters at the bottom behind the wheel, near the door, and ive poked them out, applied rust converter, bogged it up, sanded and then primed. then a few days later to my horror i see bits of brown seeping through the primer! where have i gone wrong? how do i get rid of all the rust ?!
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

cut it out... just coz u got rid of the rust u could see does'nt mean there is'nt stuff still there.. depending on how much room u have cut around a inch around it out.. u should be right..
HighTeK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

Where u went wrong =
1. - There is still rust on the inside of the panel.
2. - Don't use bog.

solution = Take the panel off the car, and get a new one.

Repair option = The only way to get rid of rust is to cut/sand all of it away, and weld a new bit in.

Rust coverter will only prolongs the time it takes to come back. I like to coat the bear metal with rust converter before priming.

Sorry but, If u have rust, better buy a welder or give up.
I would rather have holes in my car waiting to be repaired then rust eating away under some bog.

ONLY MY OPINION.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

Firstly you really should cut all the rust out and weld in a new section.

Rust converter only works to a certain level, mostly only usually for surface rust.

What you have probably done is not gotten rid of all the rust firstly. With front quarters its a good idea to take them off and fix them cos they have an edge that folds back on itself and dirt and shit gets in here causing rust. On mine I had to basically cut the whole bottom off to get rid of all the rust. From there I made up a new bottom from metal and welded it on with a TIG ! (only welder we had at the time hehe).

Primer isnt the best sealant either, its relatively pouros so water and rust has seeped through the bog and primer.

Eg. My wagon had a few pinholes in the passenger sill. They looked like nothing but I knew that inside that panel would be rusted to fuck so I cut a whole section out and welded another one in (made it up from a piece of an old ED falcon front qtr)

Heres what it looked like on the outside

http://members.iweb.net.au/~orca/gemi_build/IMGA0122.JPG

Heres how much I replaced.

http://members.iweb.net.au/~orca/gemi_build/2/passenger_sill.jpg

In the top shot you can also see how much was really rusted out of the front qtr by the time I cut it all back.

If you just want to keep it in good condition with the intention of fixing later for a full respray then my advice would be to take it back to bare metal, wirebrush it, rust converter and leave for a day. Then rub it back, prime it lightly and then spray a few coats of some gloss black or something to seal it until you fix it later. Don't bother with bog since you will have to scrape it out later anyway.
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

How come no one has mentioned Fibre glass?? Isn't that a lot betta then bog and a lot easier to use then welding? and probably wont rust again? I'm not sure just a suggestion??
cheers anyway
ps. Soop good job on the rust fixing anyway can't tell da difference on that passenger sill looks sweet.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

if u TOTALY! cut out the rust u can ETCH prime and bog/fiberglass it and it will be good for a long time. but only if u cut it ALL out.
welding is much better but if u cant get hold of one fiberglass is ya next best thing. if u just prime it and leave it it will rust as quick as bare metal as its takes in moisture. etch prime it 1st this will stop any moisture geting in.

BTW NEVER NEVER NEVER used bog or fiber glass on a structural part of the car that has rusted out. eg. where soop has welded up. u would never fix rust with bog in a spot like that. or on a pillar etc... bog and glass is good for floors and pannles in SMALL spots. dont go replaing ya whole floor with bog. LOL be sensable. if u think its SLIGHTLY dodgy. it is dodgy
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

this might be a stupid questin but what is ETCH priming?
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

Firslty let me tell you all that there is nothing wrong with bog... if it is used correctly.

Bog over even a slightly rusty surface will cause problems, bog used to fare out a clean area of metal is perfectly fine and not in the least bit dodgy.

In fact I happen to know a guy who runs a prestige auto refinishing business. (Thats where I got my car sprayed, altough I did all the body work).

They work on all kinds of awesome cars and bog is used all the time. Its not used to fill holes or anything, its used properly to fill dents and fare out welds etc..
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

exactly
hod rodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

its a different kind of primer u put on 1st when spraying bare metal. tehn u prime over that then paint
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

I thought etch primer was for priming aluminium?
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

Argh!!! Pulled the tail lights outta my coupe today to find rust eating away at a corner of it. Looks like a big piece of rust... HELP!!!!
rod
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

will the ETCH primer help my silver canned spray paint sick too my bumper bar??

cos at the moment ive just giving my bumperbar a little bit off a touch up after i gave it a light sand back with emory and little wipe it over with metho. THAN. with a silver can i spray the stuff on and it just doesnt wanna stick aye. it just drizzles off like shit Sad

wat does anyone recomend?
TuFf
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

bumper primer?
BOB the chicken
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: rust repair dramas Reply with quote

hmmm get it primed, and shit like that and take it somewhere where they do chrome coatings and then get that done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: